Two emergencies....sigghhhhhh

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Our hen Yuki has a big wound on her back and her tail is missing. Looks like maybe a predator grabbed her. She doesn't seem too concerned, but I need some Cephalexin, I can't find it. What would be a good substitute as an oral antibiotic for her?

I also need an oral antibiotic for Onyx, another hen we have who has bumblefoot. I do not want to do surgery on her , she is old and I want to try soaking and antibiotics first. Again Cephalexin would be best, but what's a good substitute?

Not sure about any substitutes for cephalexin but i would put triple-antibiotic ointment on the wound and make sure the other chickens aren't pecking at it.

You could try amoxicillin...(if you can obtain it)..it has similar properties depending upon the specific illness.

If you cannot perform surgery on Onyx..try soaking her foot in betadine solution..it can take a long time by using any other method than surgery...soaking would have to be done frequently.

Sorry you are having to deal with two problems at once!

Take them to a vet a fox got one and tore his wing off
D.gif

Take them to a vet a fox got one and tore his wing off
D.gif
What??? She has both wings, believe me. I'm not taking her to a vet, it's just a wound. It's possible that one of the other hens did it, though
I haven't seen blood on anyone else and I've never seen her fight with anyone.

WE finally caught her to get a better look. I trapped her in a pen earlier so she'd be safe, but I didn't want to handle her til the bleeding slowed down. So, apparently something got her by the tail, ripped half her tail off. It's nasty, but basically a deep abrasion.. I will have to get some Vetrycin or Bluekote, there's no way we could get triple a ointment on a wound that large. She is eating fortunately, but she might be in a little shock, I would be. Got her in a clean pen with a heat light on til we go to bed.
sad.png
Hopefully whatever was after her doesn't decide to try to get in to the barn next...

Back
Top Bottom