Two Emus Died Unexpectedly, Can't Get Others To Eat

Frog Song Farm

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2020
This week two of my 4-year-old emus died unexpectedly. Fine one day, dead the next. Exhibited lots of bleeding from the rear end, intestinal hemorrhaging. Now two of the others are acting unwell, sitting down a lot, refusing to eat. A doctor at the state testing lab suggested the cause may be some kind of toxin/clostridium bacteria. We have since cleaned out all of their waters/feeders and are letting them free-range out of their pen, which seems to make them happier anyway. I would send a stool sample for parasite testing, but they don't seem to be pooping either.

Has anyone experienced this before and can offer any advice? And, more importantly, does anyone know of a way to get them to start eating? Or something I can drench them with? I am giving them Poultry Cell currently. I'm afraid they won't last much longer without nutrient intake.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your replies. The other three are still kickin. Two seem fully recovered and one still a little sluggish, though still none with touch their pelleted feed. I did a five day Corid treatment for coccidia, and talked to a doc who suggested it might have been clostridium or some kind of bacteria/Protozoa. Still not in the clear, but hopeful.

Back
Top Bottom