Two females sharing one nest.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Angel9_999, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Angel9_999

Angel9_999 In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2018
    I have two females that absolutely love each other. They spend every waking moment together. Eat together bathe together everything. One of my ducks has made a nest and is sitting on 4 eggs. Weird thing is both girls take turns sitting on these eggs. The eggs belong to only one of my ducks. Do they want to be mamas together?

Julie Birb likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My first duck experience was with 2 Mallard hens. They decided to set a nest together. Between them, they had 26 eggs. If an egg peeked out from under one hen, the other would grab it and tuck it under herself. They swapped eggs like this for the entire 28 days. After hatch day, one hen got up and walked away from the nest, never looked back! She left her buddy holding the bag, with 24 babies to tend!

3. Angel9_999

Mar 21, 2018
    The eggs belong to only one of my ducks. Other one isn’t laying.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Not at all uncommon for hens, either chicken or duck to share nest duties.

5. Angel9_999

Mar 21, 2018
    If I only let her have three eggs and everyday take the extra will she eventually stay with the and sit to hatch only three or will she keep laying until she’s collected what she wants?

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello..I breed and raise Ducks..Separate the one that did not lay the eggs and give Momma private time to be just that..Momma...

happy duck likes this.
  7. Angel9_999

Mar 21, 2018
    At the moment I don’t have another pen. These two girls are in my extra pen. Is it bad to keep them together?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

It depends on the females I had 2 Muscovy females that brooded together and they were fine but none of my others would ever let that happen.

9. Angel9_999

Mar 21, 2018
    Well right now my Swedish grey(Thelma) is the one laying then my Cayuga(Louise) sits on them. Barely is Thelma sitting. She’s being semi protective because if I get near the pen she walks over and stands next to Louise sitting. Louise is not laying any eggs at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: