hennypenner

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
SF Bay Area, No. California
With my former flocks, a couple of times I wound up with only two girls for quite awhile and everything seemed good. Happy henners and plenty of eggs. But recently, I’ve seen articles that say you should never have a 2 hen flock if you want the girls to thrive. How do you all feel about this? My two are extremely happy and don’t seem to need more. I welcome your feedback.

TheOddOneOut

Free Ranging
Feb 15, 2020
My imagination...
With my former flocks, a couple of times I wound up with only two girls for quite awhile and everything seemed good. Happy henners and plenty of eggs. But recently, I’ve seen articles that say you should never have a 2 hen flock if you want the girls to thrive. How do you all feel about this? My two are extremely happy and don’t seem to need more. I welcome your feedback.
I don't think birds who were originally in a large flock could easily transition to one so small, but raised from chicks, together...

chickenlover007

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
washington
Honestly I think it would be a mistake to introduce a new chicken now unless you had one of your girls hatch chicks or you really wanted more eggs. JacinLarkwell is right, the idea is just that if one dies, you'll still have 2 more. If your chickens are happy I don't see any reason to change things

Ab1010

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Honestly I think it would be a mistake to introduce a new chicken now unless you had one of your girls hatch chicks or you really wanted more eggs. JacinLarkwell is right, the idea is just that if one dies, you'll still have 2 more. If your chickens are happy I don't see any reason to change things
Yeah mu step mom had a flock that died down to 2 and they are extremely bonded and don't prefer any other chickens. One just hatched an egg out for me so we will see if the other likes it.

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
2 hen flocks turn into 0 hen flocks very quickly.
When one dies the other is likely to pass a few days after especially if they were long term flockmates.
Chickens don't do change well at all, a new bowl shakes them.
They simply cease to be once their flock is gone. :(

Top Bottom