two hens attacking a third - help!

Amyellen

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2021
I have 5 hens who have been together since birth and are 4 years old. This morning I noticed Tiny, kind of in the middle of the pecking order, being attacked by the top hen and one who's normally at the bottom. They were huddled around her and pecking her head. I broke them up and they scattered (they are free range most of the day). Several hours later I went to shoo them into their enclosure because it's raining, and I noticed Tiny all by herself in the bushes while the other four were in the run. While I was herding them into the enclosure, the two aggressors started attacking Tiny again. I broke them up and removed her. I put her in a wire crate in a covered area of the enclosure so she can be with the flock and out of the rain but they can't attack her again. What could be going on? I have never seen this behavior before. What should I do?

Is the one that is getting beat up sick?
Pics of their enclosure please?

20210403_091041.jpg

She's not sick as far as I can tell. Yesterday they were outside with me all day while I was gardening and everyone seemed totally normal

She's not sick as far as I can tell. Yesterday they were outside with me all day while I was gardening and everyone seemed totally normal
When you say your are putting them back...are you locking them in the coop?

No, i just put them inside their enclosure instead of letting them stay out in my yard free ranging

This is the enclosure where i closed them up while it was raining
Keep a close eye on the one they are picking on. Make sure she's eating well and laying. They may know something is going on/ wrong with her which is why they are picking on her.

Back
Top Bottom