Two hens with a story

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by collegegardener, Sep 4, 2014.

1. collegegardener

collegegardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Russellville, Arkansas
    [​IMG]

You probably can't tell from the photo, but both of these hens only have one eye. One has only her left and the other has only her right. They eat and drink and scratch around just like any normal chicken. They just have to turn their head funny to really look at you. They are the sweetest hens I think I've ever encountered and they're just too cute together. They take care of each other and always stick together. I haven't named them quite yet, but they'll always have a home with me :)

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have read that chickens use one eye for distant and other for close up…Sounds like a symbiotic relationship. Bet they will be BFF.

Cute chickens. How did they lose their eyes?

1 person likes this.
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awww, that's wonderful of you. [​IMG] I've got one that only has one good eye also. She's a sweetie, and I wouldn't trade her either. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. collegegardener

collegegardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Russellville, Arkansas

They actually are best friends! I was told that when they were babies they were kept in a very small area & started to peck at each other as they grew older. I've never heard that, but it's very interesting. I've noticed sometimes they do have a hard time figuring out where they're going, and sometimes they do help each other out. They stick to each other like glue.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Bet they do remain closely attached. I'm glad they ended up with someone who loves them.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by