Two layers left, one with diarria are they well now?

southphoenixchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
We lost three hens recently and we think it was due to Mareks but no way to know since we didn't take them for a necropsy. We have two remaining girls that seem to be fine except that I have noticed their poop is runny and also a little white foamy. When I break the poop I don't see anything like worms. We've looked for mites too. We have two other younger girls about six weeks old that were being kept in the run in a seperate cage to protect them from being attacked by the older hens and they have shown no signs of illness. The only difference between the chicks and the hens has been food. I dumped the hens food out and am now feeding all of them the chick starter and grower because it seems to be helping. I think maybe their feed had gone bad. I have now let the six week old chicks in to the run free with the two remaining hens. I sprayed them with hotpick to protect them from the hens and they seem to be doing fine. The two remaining hens are laying an egg a day and I've been throwing them out. Is it safe to eat their eggs?

Also other than giving them yogurt (only once) I haven't really done much for the chickens. Would it be advisable to give them something else? I was thinking about picking up some vitamins for their water at the feed store today, and I'm going to dust the ground with DE, but I don't know what else to do short of antibiotics and I don't know if I should since they seem pretty healthy other than the diarria and being that it has been very hot here 111 yesterday I thought it could just be the heat making their poop wet.

Not a bad thought I gave them a vitamin electrolyte boost to their water today but tomorrow I'll add some molasses instead. I just don't want to start feeding the eggs to my family especially not my 16 month old if whatever made the others six can be passed on through the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom