two month old chick walks "stiff legged"-not thriving

annette'spets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
vero beach, Fl.
This chick was sick from the time she arrived from hatchery - white goo coming out butt,finally got all better. Now she does not move around like the other 17 -always sitting to the side, eats,drinks,bugs, suns etc. but the legs seem too straight,walks "funny", She does perch at times. Can't figure out why. Any thoughts?

You may want to post in the disease/injury section. Refer to these guidelines and you should get some suggestions as to what to do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you - I read over the list of possible links to the "stiff legs" and came up with calcium and phosphorus deficiency. Since none of the others show any signs I discounted that, they have plenty of sand,plants,bugs etc. BUT will give her grit tomorrow. Put a bowl out for all of them. What about some liquid Vitamin D -a drop or so? She just sits on the side watching most of the time.

I know some on here have used poly visol, pedialyte for kids without iron as a vitamin supplement. I bought a vit/electrolyte supplement from the feed store that I add to the water for my chicks.

you can also try adding some apple cider vinegar to the water and offering some yogurt.

You said in your original post that she was "sunning" so I'm assuming she is outside some. Being in natural sunlight should help the Vit D as well.

Back
Top Bottom