Two month old Mille Fleur "hen" or not?

Surprisingly, I found out that they are technically allowed. But, I live in a densely populated area and I want to be a conscientious neighbor.

Surprisingly, I found out that they are technically allowed. But, I live in a densely populated area and I want to be a conscientious neighbor.
That's a good reason to get rid of a roo I suppose. I personally would ask around, or wait and see if any neighbors cared. He's already started crowing, right? So if anybody did mind wouldn't they have told you or complained to the city or something already? You can always bribe your neighbors with fresh eggs lol

That's a good reason to get rid of a roo I suppose. I personally would ask around, or wait and see if any neighbors cared. He's already started crowing, right? So if anybody did mind wouldn't they have told you or complained to the city or something already? You can always bribe your neighbors with fresh eggs lol
(Not that roosters lay the eggs, I'm just saying that helps if they don't like your chickens in any way)

I can generally sex my d'Uccle millie fleurs at about three weeks of age. The cockerels already have those combs coming in, and some black on their hackle feathers, while the pullets don't have either the combs or black on their necks.
Mary

Appreciate it. But the coop is close to a neighbor's bedroom. I don't want to put them in the uncomfortable position of having to reluctantly agree to allow that.

That's the thing with bantams - sexing. I wanted some bantams, so I tried ordering from MPC who offer sexes Silkies. However, after a shipping disaster, Ireplaced those with some bought as straight run at a local feed store. I initially didn't want a rooster, but my Sebright turned out to be a pretty good one. But I knew I'd be ok with a rooster if I ended up with one. They were allowed where I lived at the time. Otherwise, I wouldn't have taken the chance. You might not have too difficult of a time rehoming that guy. He's purdy!

Appreciate it. But the coop is close to a neighbor's bedroom. I don't want to put them in the uncomfortable position of having to reluctantly agree to allow that.
Honestly, I would consider moving it either way then. I have all pullets and I can hear them inside my house...and they're 75 ft from my house. Roosters crow every once in a while. Hens cluck cluck cluck bakwak all day long. The also call it an egg song for a reason. Loud. Noises come from them when they lay.

Realizing roos of the same breed can differ, I just rehomed a MFD roo because he flogged everyone but me. This looks to be fairly standard for them. He also crowed all day long, constantly, which I don't mind, but given you have close neighbors, it might be a good idea to rehome this little guy.

Back
Top Bottom