Two months already!

moomee56

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
So. Cal
I want to put my two month old in with my two hens, and they don't mind him or her, actually they like him/her, but is it too soon for it to eat lay mash? I heard that large amounts of calcium does bad things to a young chicken, but I forget what. Anyway I cannot tell if it is a boy or a girl, can roos eat lay mash? So basically the question is: whether or not it is a boy or girl can it go in wih the big chickens? Will the feed hurt it? Thank you for reading!
big_smile.png

Post a picture and maybe we can help ID the sex for you.

As far as putting them in together: if they get along, there should be no issue...I would jut put a feeder out that still has the food the younger chick is eating...and make sure that chick knows where it is. Not like it will kill them to eat the layer feed, but it is better that you have the chick feed still out there for them.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Layer feed is heavy in calcium, and best left to chickens over 18 weeks old or when they begin to lay. I believe that it
would be better to feed them mash or pellets without the calcium and put out a bowl of oyster shells. They will eat that
when their bodies tell them they need it, and the rooster will probably just ignore the shells since he doesn't need as much
calcium.

Best way, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom