Two new moms in a same coop?

tuitui

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
I have two silkies who have been brooding for weeks now... I finally relented and purchased some fertilized eggs. My first time trying to hatch chicks... I'm setting up a separate area for the new moms & babies away from the other chickens. My question is whether I can put these two girls in a same pen with their eggs or do they each need their own area? Also, they have already been sitting on the eggs for almost a week... Will they get very upset when I have to move the eggs to a new nesting box? Is there any special tricks to this? THANK YOU!!

Hi tuitui and Welcome to BYC!

I can tell you about my experience with broody hens hatching eggs. But I think that getting the right solution for you always depends on your own circumstances.

I had two broody hens who hatched eggs at the same time. In fact, I split the eggs between them. I did not separate them, and they did fine. That said, they had loads of room and weren't crowded in the least. Also, they were "buddies". One hen left her chicks before the other, and the chicks just went over to the other broody and became hers. No problems at all.

As for moving them, I've done it both ways. I moved hens and eggs, and it was fine. But I was quite worried that the hen would be upset and leave the eggs. Just like you are. And I've waited until the eggs hatched and moved hen and chicks. That worked fine, too.

I think I preferred the moving of the hen and chicks, just because it is a possibility that the hens might stop sitting. Very worrisome. They hate change. Didn't happen to me, though.

I think that one depends on whether you need to move them now or not. Are they hogging up nestboxes that your other chickens want to use? That's a nuisance! Some other reason?

Just some thoughts I had on the subject. I'm sure you'll get loads of advice on this. And good luck with your hatch, whatever you decide to do.
smile.png

Thank You Laralou!

My biggest concern with leaving the silkies with the 'general population' is that I have a Rhode Island Red who is a big ol' trouble maker... I'm afraid she might try to make a meal out of the baby chicks... Then again "Grey" - one of the girls who's sitting on the eggs right now and who is usually so sweet and tame - attacked my cat AND my dog the other day when they went to take a look... Dog and cat ran for their lives! She's got some maternal instincts :eek: I'm inclined to move them if I can pry them off from top of the eggs... Maybe I'll do just one of them first to see how it goes. Thanks for the insights!

I have not had two at a time, but I have moved moms and chicks after the hatch to a safer place away from the others and there were no problems.

Ellie

I dunno, if I were you I'd tread lightly, I have heard that two mummas may try and get rid of unwanted chicks that belong to the other chickie mumma

After you move the hen, check for blood and count your fingers.
lau.gif
My grand daughter just had one hen hatch some chicks and has another setting. The first mama took her chicks out today, shen she went back in the coop, she went to the spot she always used for the night. Well, that is where the second hen is setting. You guessed it, the fight was on. By the time I got to the coop, the first hen had run the second off. I knew this was coming and had a nest box made up the the first. Caught the hen with a fishing net and then the chick. I put the chick in the new box and mama hen run right to her, fluffed up the nest and settled in. Hopefully I won't have to do this more than three times.
fl.gif
The first hen will draw blood just for thinking about touching her or her chicks. What will be fun is this week end my DW wants to take them to the care facility with her. Think I will let her catch them.
jumpy.gif
Back to your situation, after a few days of the chicks running around they will be O K. The hens will even babysit the other's chicks for awhile. I have even seen where they would divide up the chicks if one had more than the other.

Back
Top Bottom