Two of 5 laying... 0/5 using boxes

Madvalleychick

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
So, my girls are taking their time with the egg laying and nesting routine. My Silver laced Wyandotte has been laying for a few weeks - but directly under our nesting boxes. I’m wondering if we should close that area off?

I caught my Brahma laying a tiny egg a week ago, and have seen a few here and there that must be hers, but only every few days. They are all over the Run.

the other three - aDelaware, and two golden Wyandottes haven’t layed yet.

I’m wondering if they will even lay with the shorter days coming - what do late layers do in the fall?

My birds just started laying as well. And at first they were laying up in the area of their roost. I placed golf balls into the nesting boxes and after 3 days I started finding their eggs in the nesting boxes. So maybe try golf balls? Also you didn't say how old your birds are, but I am guessing they are just not all ready to lay yet. So just give the others some time.

When mine started to lay, they picked a spot on the floor near the pop door. I put some boards there. I even took the fake eggs out of the nesting box and showed them where they should do their thing. They just moved a foot over to where the boards ended. I took one of the nesting boxes down from where it was attached to the wall and put it where the boards were, then put the boards in their new spot. Tada!

I am slowly raising the nesting box up to the level it was when it was mounted on the wall, a couple inches at a time. So far, all the eggs have been in the nest since they figured it out. When I finally get the next back up to its original level, I'll put the boards underneath so they don't go back to the floor.

Thanks everyone... I have a few more layers each week (3 now) and they are all laying under the nesting box (haha). I may try putting a board there and replacing the golf balls with real blown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom