Two of my chickens keep laying invisible eggs?

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
I have a little flock of three. One New Hampshire, one Black Star and a RIR. The RIR is way behind the other two, who both have big red combs and wattles, and have had them for some weeks now. They are all about 26 weeks old and have been confirmed by the vet as being pullets.
The NH and BS keep going into the nesting box and make such a noise, as if they are laying. But when they leave and I check the box, there is nothing there but invisible eggs. They have been doing this for weeks and I can't take it anymore, I want a visible egg for once.
There is a fake egg in there so they know that is what they are suppose to do there.
They are on organic layer pellets and drink crystal clear water from the pond when they free range the yard.
They have an automatic feeder, shell grit and waterer in their coop.
They get scraps from my kitchen and my neighbors and they have 1/4 acre garden to roam around and catch their own food too. Both their vents are huge and wet looking.
I have tried cayenne pepper and black pepper, which just made them thirsty, but no egg action.
Is there anything else I could try. I will try anything.
I also checked the whole yard in case they were laying somewhere else and didn't find anything.
I live in Sydney Australia, so the days are getting warmer and longer.
There must be some secret method out there to get them to stop laying invisible eggs.
PLEASE HELP
barnie.gif

BTW my button quail have laid eggs, hatched them and are on their second set of eggs now, which will hatch in the next week. At least they are doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Chickens are good at trying your patience aren't they. Sounds like you are doing pretty much everything you can, it is just up to the girls now. They are a little late in starting to lay, but not that much. The pullets seem to start that noisy complaining a couple of weeks before they start to lay so hopefully it will be soon. The other consideration would be that are they laying and is something happening to the eggs? Snake or something eating them? You said you checked if they are hiding them, they will make nests in some pretty unlikely places.

No snakes and not to many places to hide in the yard big enough for them to get in. They only make all the noise in the nesting area and no where else. I spend most of the day outside with them so know pretty well where they go and at what times. I think they are just pulling my chain, as they know if I hear them make noise I will come to investigate. They are just cheeky chickens. I will give them a couple more weeks and take them back to the vet to see if he can see what may be the problem. I clean out their coop and nesting box twice a week, so I know there isn't any mice or snakes. If there was any mice in there they would rip it apart and eat it. I caught a couple in the aviary and gave them to the cat to play with and eventually kill, but the chickens ran in and they were dead and eaten in seconds. Also if we did have snakes they would have gone after our guinea pigs, who also free range the yard.

Last edited:
I think they are practicing - You will be getting eggs any day now.

Do you have a dog? We have an Aussie that will eat any egg she can reach, so sometimes it's a race to see who gets the eggs.

I am still waiting. I think they are waiting for the RIR to mature up, so they all can lay together. My husband thinks, even though the RIR is the slowest to mature, that she will lay the first egg.
Yes, I have a dog, but she is way too small to eat eggs. She is a chihuahua. Also she has never liked eggs, she prefers beef and fish. A fussy eater.
This whole thing is like watching a 40 gallon pot full of water and waiting for it to boil, when the only source of heat is one candle.

Back
Top Bottom