Two or three hens this Spring. Need pointers on construction,etc.

That's a great idea! I haven't noticed any new buildings in our area and the ones that are going up are usually cinder block due to hurricanes. It is definitely worth investigating though! Thanks for the suggestion!

Here is a thread on hot weather coops: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163417

In
the South, even this far south and especially that far south, the important considerations are air movement and shade. Chickens tolerate cold climates much better than hot, and are actually at threat of dying above 100 degrees, particularly without plenty of water, breeze and shade. I would certainly not build a small enclosed coop in south Florida.

My walk in coop has 4 sides, but half of one wall and the people door on the opposite side are hardware cloth. Also, the eaves all the way around, several inches tall, are all open air. With our wind direction it is really a three sided coop in terms of air movement. I have another that is part of a three sided metal building with only wire walls and doors for the coop portion. If I were to build another, I would build a three sided shed with a wire run extending out from the shed.

Good thing to consider! Can you post pictures of your coop so I can get a better idea? Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom