Two pipped, then died, within 12 hours. 1 seems to need help.

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
I'm so sad, I only had 2 silkie eggs developing, and when they both pipped I was so hopeful. One chipped a good sized pip, I could see the beak breathing. It got rolled into half an eggshell that had already hatched, and when I took the other chicks out today and rolled it apart, it was dead.

Another egg, a JG, pipped and halfway zipped, and then died. When I chipped away at the zip, it had rotated around in the egg, and probably couldn't breathe?

I have a third who pipped but the membrane around the pip is a little bloody. It's breathing but hasn't progressed at all since early this morning. I'm scared to intervene, but after losing two others at that stage, I'm also scared not to. It is a BCM egg, out of three that developed, one hatched, one seems to be a dud, and this one. How long should I wait?

Overall, this hatch did okay, out of 12 JG eggs, 9 hatched. EE eggs, 6 so far out of the 10 developing. The silkie & BCM eggs must have really been jostled during shipping, 1 of 7 silkies hatched (only 2 developed) and out of 21 BCM eggs, only 3 developed & so far, 1 hatched. I really want this other one to make it
sad.png

I had one of my BO chicks pip in the wee morning hours and 12 hours later it hadn't progressed at all so I took matters into my own hands and chipped him out myself. I didn't think the little fella was going to make it at first but an hour later he was peeping and bouncing like crazy. I think the membrane was a little dry plus the little guy turned out to be the biggest in the bunch and he was in the smallest shell. So I guess I did a good thing. It's a hard call to make.

Thank you! I read that pdf last time I was hatching, but needed refreshing.

I decided to help the little guy out late last night (and am really glad I did). The membrane in the big half of the shell was separated & 'wrapping' him, I guess b/c he stayed pipped so long?

My humidity was high-too high, if anything, running at 75%, I really don't understand why I had sticky membrane issues (I did calibrate it and it seemed to read correctly).

He's doing great this morning, chirping & pecking at everything. He was ready to be out!

Back
Top Bottom