Two probably dumb questions from a newbie

KCref

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Does anyone think that me processing a bird in the vicinity of my coop and run where the other chickens are watching creates any stress for the other chickens? Asking this sounds kind of silly but I swear the others are watching me. :)

Secondly, how does one go about fattening up a chicken? My 15 week old roosters seem awfully skinny once processed and by ordinance I must process at least 6 more birds in the next week.

I would feed corn to add fat (won't add much meat) or, if you had more time, a high protein gamebird or turkey ration. To your first question...I don't think chickens can rationalize seeing their coops mates getting dispatched as long as there is a minimum of squawking on the way to their demise and a minimum of flopping after it. Good luck to you!

I have been feeding a meat bird feed for about 3-4 weeks and I give a flock of 21 birds about 1 1/2 cups of cracked corn twice daily on most days for the last 2-3 weeks in preparation for this time. My flock is made up of RIR, Leg Horns, Buff Orphingtons, and Barred Rocks. The BOs matured fastest and as a result were the first to crow and the first to go.

I knew the size of the birds would not be what we see in the store but I am still surprised at how small they are.

I guess I knew that the other chickens were probably not processing with rational thought about what was happening to the bird I was processing but they are hard enough to catch without them "knowing" there time is up. I use a killing cone and while I do hold the bird for a couple of minutes for calming I do not waste any time getting the dirty work done.

Thanks for your response.

I don't believe that a chicken is caused "stress" by seeing the dispatching of other chickens. Heck, if you walked in the coop and killed one there in front of them, they'd pounce on it and attack. They do not possess the ability to feel remorse or mercy. They understand eat, sleep, fight, breed and that's all, imho.

Heritage birds are always smaller than you would have hoped for at processing time. I switched to Cornish Cross this year. Now I get a nice table bird in 6-8 weeks with no possibility of ever hearing crowing from the barn.

our chickens free range and hang out with us when we process the meaties. they love to pounce on any bits that hit the ground. they don't care if another chicken is being killed or not, they're just looking for a bit of food. that's probably why they're watching you, they're looking for their share.

I appreciate the responses, I'm sure you are correct the other chickens watch when we are in the yard all the time always "asking" for a treat.

Does anyone think that me processing a bird in the vicinity of my coop and run where the other chickens are watching creates any stress for the other chickens? Asking this sounds kind of silly but I swear the others are watching me. :)

Secondly, how does one go about fattening up a chicken? My 15 week old roosters seem awfully skinny once processed and by ordinance I must process at least 6 more birds in the next week.

We specifically don't butcher in sight of the other birds any more. The first two times we butchered, the others could watch, and they were very, very stressed by the end. Since then, we've moved the pens so they're out of sight of the butchering, and we don't have the stress any more--the birds come waddling up to us when we go to catch them instead of screaming and running away. Hardly empirical evidence, but it's in the can't hurt, might help school of chicken keeping.

As far as fattening your birds, it's protein, protein, protein! That will add muscle. Corn will add fat at the expense of more muscle. You didn't say what kind of bird you're fattening up, but heritage cockerels will simply be pretty skinny at 15 weeks.

We also butcher birds with our layers free-ranging around us. They love processing days. They hang around annoying us by trying to get into the gut bucket and cleaning up anything that makes it to the ground. Definitely not disturbed by it at all.

Thanks for the responses. Like most things there is more than one school of thought and appreciate both perspectives. I think I'll leave the set up alone for now, I really think they are just watching out of curiosity and the hope that I have some kind of treat to offer.

Back
Top Bottom