Two problems have cropped up...

Cassie3452

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
We have been enjoying steady laying from each of our 3 hens - every time in one of the nest boxes made for them...now...in the last several days...things are changing...first...eggs are being laid anywhere...not in the nest boxes, and for 2 days in a row now, one chicken is laying an egg with NO shell...

Now, we used to keep them locked up in their coop area while we were at work and let them free range when we got home until they went to roost at night...now we have been leaving the coop door open so they could come and go as they please...is this why they are laying just anywhere? out in the pasture, in the barn, in the horse stalls?

We feed either Egglands or Purina layer crumbles, and they get scratch, gravel and I also feed back crushed egg shells for calcium once a week...they also get scraps,...corn, green beans, watermelon..etc...and of course free ranging, they get grasses, bugs, etc...to me, they have a very healthy diet...so what's with the no shell? Still not enough calcium?

I am perplexed and need expert advice! :)
Thanks!

Many times young birds will lay an occasional no shell egg. As far as nesting in so many locations.... I would try to limit the birds free range or access area to so many out buildings. This will cut your work down on going on egg hunts each day. Mine pretty much only lay in their nest boxes or in a particular spot in the goat house. Not sure why they would lay out in the open pasture since mine have never done that. Hopefully your nest boxes are cozy and in a darkened area. You could also try throwing scratch for the birds during your egg collections. Many times birds will change laying locations if they are unhappy with you snatching eggs.

When our layers started at first we had some very large eggs. Then a couple of no shells, and a few times very small eggs with nothing in them. Then huge double yolkers for a couple of months steady then everything settled done that every morning there were normal (large) sized eggs. But the first 2-3 months held lots of surprises. Your chickens sound normal.

Thanks! The coop is covered and therefore darker and shady, i.e., cooler for eggs that get collected at evening when we get home instead of out in the sun...:) and the times of laying have changed...two would lay around 7-8 AM and one would lay 11-12...but now, my husband goes out to feed the horses before he leaves for work and that can be 3-4 AM and there are eggs...just seems everything is "off"...but we will leave them in their coop area ( it has plenty of ground and fresh sun etc outside the coop area...) and go back to letting them free range after work and during the day time one weekends :)

We got these as pullets at 19 mos around April...so I guess they are still considered young? :)

thanks! Yes, we have enjoyed about 4 doubles and one hen lays a larger egg than the other two but are same breed (red sex link) and age...they were 19 mos old pullets we got in April...took about a month or so to start laying...just want to make sure we are doing something wrong...they are fabulous pets and we love the eggs and have plenty to share with friends and family!

Hubby put chickens up at 4 AM this morning when he went out to feed horses...2 were roosting and one chicken was out in the horse pasture just sitting on the ground? He got her in the coop but she would not roost...sat on the ground...we got one egg today...we searched everywhere...how can this happen all of a sudden? None of the hens look or act sick...just very bizarre...any ideas?

Good News,
Well, putting my hens back in their coop/grass area while we are at work worked...took 2 days but we are now back to having 3 eggs daily with shells and in the nest boxes! :)

Back
Top Bottom