Two questions (appreciate the advice)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hammy79, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hammy79

Hammy79 Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    First : will we be able to see the air sack through the dark shell of a maran (currently on day 8)
    Secound : three our maran eggs appear to be furtile but are growing at very different rates , is this normal ? Will post a pic off each from last night [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there :frow

I've not done Maran eggs myself but as long as you have a good candler that can get a good seal on the egg so no light can escape you should be able to see the air cell. If you get the light on the fat end of the egg where the aircell should be you should be able to see the air cell growth throughout incubation.

I have found slight differences in embryo development not to be a problem. Each embryo is different as the chicks will be. As long as you continue to see development things should be fine.

Good luck with eggs, hope you have a great hatch :fl

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You should start seeing the air cell now. What humidity are you incubating at? If too high you wont get much of an air cell as it grows via water evaporation from the egg. Too small of a cell will cause problems at hatch time. After salt test for calibration I incubate at 30-35% RH and hatch 70-75% RH.

[​IMG]

Typically my 10 day cell looks like the 7 day in diagram but it catches up. If your not seeing a cell you may want to empty all water from incubator and run dry for a good three days or more to catch it up.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by