two questions for newcoop - first night and flies

GinaNew York

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2012
New York/CT
soon will be the first night for the babies in their new coop - I've read that chickens on their first night might be scared and go in a corner and suffocate each - any recommendations are welcome

second question: we're using the deep litter method- what do you use to control flies? does anyone use the nematodes I've read about for horse barns?

Never heard about them suffocating each other. Guess anything is possible :confused: I wouldn't worry about it.

We do Deep Litter in our run, no fly problems. The poo drops down through the 'Litter' and disappears then breaks down. Just make sure your Litter material is deep enough and that you have varied materials.

I wouldn't worry about them suffocating each other. They will squish together for warmth but unless you have some chicks of varying ages where some are much smaller than others it shouldn't be an issue. I grow mint and clip some and throw it in the coop. Most predators and insects don't like mint so it works well and smells good as a bonus. I clean the coop every day or every other so I haven't seen many flies.

soon will be the first night for the babies in their new coop - I've read that chickens on their first night might be scared and go in a corner and suffocate each - any recommendations are welcome

second question: we're using the deep litter method- what do you use to control flies? does anyone use the nematodes I've read about for horse barns?

If you are having fly problems using deep litter, It may not be quite deep enough. I had a fly problem and just added more bedding. The next day they were gone and I havent seen any since.

Mine were scared at night at first and trampled each other piling up in the corner, like you say I was worried someone would get injured. People on here suggested I put in a night light (I got one of those cheap stick up ones) used it for a few nights and then they were fine! Stopped piling in the corner and started roosting on their perches. I took the night light out after 1 week and they've been fine ever since. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom