1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinos_rock, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    First- When can you give fruits and veggies to the chicks?

Second- When do you start them on laying pellets?

Thanks in advance..[​IMG]

2. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I waited to give my girls vegetables and friuts until they were about 4 1/2 weeks old and then slowly started them with a little bit a few times a week. The all time favorites are brocoli and watermelon, yogurt and cheerios. I have also given them the seeds from a cantelope and they went nuts for them! They were not crazy for the cantelope itself though. As for layer pellets they do not need them until they are ready to start to lay usually about 19 to 21 weeks or until the first egg appears which ever comes first. Trudy

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always start them off when they are 6 or 7 weeks old...and then only as a treat now and then....

Mine stay on chick starter/grower til they are at point of lay....

4. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    ok, thanks.[​IMG]

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I tried giving them some around a couple of weeks old and it made for some pretty scary poo. They're 5 to 6 weeks old now, and they handle it just fine. When you do start giving them treats, make sure you add a bit of grit to their food.

6. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are 6 weeks old and I was told by a feed store that they could have layer crumble at that age. I have ducks that are older which are about ready to start laying so that was why I was asking about the layer feed. So what happens if you give chicks at that age layer feed? Mine also spend the day in a large pen eatting what ever is out there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by