two quick questions: outside temps and feed

MyFirstFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
1) at what nightime temp would you put on a heat lamp in your tractror? ours are 3 weeks old and its been cool here. night temps around 10- 12 C (50 - 55ishF)?

2) should i be taking their food away at night? right now its in there 24 hrs.

many thanks!

Last edited:
If you're rainsing CX's. I raised my first bactch of 50 this spring, they are already in the freezer. At 3 weeks I never let the temp get under 70 degrees. I was worried about them getting cold and smothering eachother. I am a beginner so I took all precautions because I wanted to keep my mortality rate down. Now with the feeding I restricted their feed to 12 hours ( I fed 18% protien chick starter) a day or I just let their feeders run out after one week of age. I culled one at four weeks due to leg problems and I lost four at a couple weeks old (I don't know what happened). At 7 and 8 weeks they dressed out at 4 and 41/2 pounds. I hope this helps!

Kristen

Thanks, I've turned the heat lamp on tonight. They were all huddled in a corner before that. I'll keep it on at night until the temps get up higher.

What is the rationale behind restricting feed for 12 hours a day? At what age are you supposed to do this? I have mine on chick starter right now, but will be switching to the other stuff tomorrow as they will be 3 weeks and the hatchery instructions said to do it at this time. I guess I just take it out at night and put it back in the next morning?

What did you mean when you say you "let it run out"? For how long?

thanks!

The reason you feed 12 on 12 off, is because CX's (if thats what you are raisings) are bred to grow FAST! If you constantly feed them they will constantly eat . Therefore their bodies will grow faster than their bones and organs and you get heart failure and their legs will usaully give out. I have done some research before I got my chickens and I have a read to start restricting food anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. I just went with a week and I think I had pretty good luck. When I went back to work I was gone from 2pm -12am. I just filled their trough like feeders full at 10 am and thats all they got for the day, I'm sorry i'm not much help when it comes to the exact weight of food I gave them but they were always out when I got home at midnight and still grew. There are a lot of helpful people here that can answer your questions better! just my two cents!

Kristen

I'd defintely be taking away their food at night, or what we do is follow the chart on the Welp Hatchery website and just feed them 2x a day and when they run out, they are out. It seems to be working well so far, the birds go nuts for their food when we bring it and devour it within 1/2 hr. or so but they are gaining weight just fine and are nice and meaty at 6 weeks old now.

http://www.welphatchery.com/cornish_rock_care.asp

Not sure about the temps, I would think they would be okay at that temp but if they seem cold offering a heat lamp won't hurt. We put ours outside at 4 weeks because we have had a chilly spring and didn't put a heat lamp out after that. They are a lot healthier looking since being out in the tractors on grass.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom