Two RIR (or are they?) help telling sex @ about 6 weeks

mes64

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
I got these 2 from a feed store, they said RIR, but I'm thinking something else, because they're not as dark as some I've seen. In these pictures they're probably between 5.5 and 7 weeks old. I have suspicions that one is a rooster, but I don't know if it's just because it is older. In the first two pictures, the bigger one is in front, in the last picture it is in the back. Thanks for any help!

maybe golden sexlink? or red stars? idk all I know is that they look alot like my own mistery chick so im interested to hear what they are also.
good luck
jumpy.gif

I'm thinking production red from what I have seen so far. Now if I could figure out if the bigger one is a cockerel or not...

They look just like my production reds, which do darken considerably when they're completely feathered in. I'm not saying that it's not a roo, BUT my roo's comb and waddles had started to grow slightly with obvious reddening by 4-5 weeks. Yours still seems on the small side and not red at all to me.

Update: so here they are at about 10 weeks. The one I'm still suspicious about is in the front in both pictures.

They're pullets, I'll post pics of my roo:
3/10( 2-3 days old )4/20 (6 wks.)5/15 (10 wks)6/18 (14 wks.) See, if either one were a roo, there would be no question about it. I knew at two weeks for certain.

Back
Top Bottom