Two roosters bloody heads and combs

Really your whole flock will calm down if you cull two of the roosters. And the rooster will do a fair job with the hawk job if is not always looking to fight another rooster. If all your hens have been sick and stressed, they don't need any more stress with the roosters fighting. Once you cull the other two, just leave the rooster in with the flock morning and night.

Mrs K

Really your whole flock will calm down if you cull two of the roosters. And the rooster will do a fair job with the hawk job if is not always looking to fight another rooster. If all your hens have been sick and stressed, they don't need any more stress with the roosters fighting. Once you cull the other two, just leave the rooster in with the flock morning and night.

Mrs K

Great point, two days after we culled the aggressive Rhode Island Reds we got our first egg. Up to that point the flock was uneasy and stressed due to the drama between the roosters. Sounds like the roo staying with the hens is the alpha and my guess is he will only become a better rooster once those others are gone and he can focus on his main job, protecting those girls.

Last edited:
Great point, two days after we culled the aggressive Rhode Island Reds we got our first egg. Up to that point the flock was uneasy and stressed due to the drama between the roosters. Sounds like the roo staying with the hens is the alpha and my guess is he will only become a better rooster once those others are gone and he can focus on his main job, protecting those girls.

That never even crossed my mind about the stress and egg laying this is the first time in years none of my girls are laying but like I said this is my first year with the roosters also

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone! Dominant rooster has been with the hens since and the other two separate and the flock already seems happier

Back
Top Bottom