two roosters in one cage?

Melinda35

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
I have two Red Sex Link roosters that I need to separate out of my flock. My roosters will not leave my ducks alone. Today I found the ducks hiding in the corner of the barn. They are scared to be with the flock now. I do not think there are enough chickens to go around for four roosters so I am taking two away. I will put them in a cage to fatten them up for probably a good Thanksgiving dinner. I am worried that they will be fighting. Should I put them in separate cages? They have been together since birth.

Thanks!

I say YES. Don't know what others will say. But I pulled five 22 week old roosters out of my flock and put them in a pretty large tractor. They fought. Four ganged up on one and I thought they had killed it. It did not move for over five minutes. I was so upset I opened the door and let them go....but they did not go anywhere....but then they did not fight anymore because they had the whole garden to run in. Would not do it again....I would put them separate. BUT not for long because they are so unhappy separated from the flock.

So, I have learned...I know I keep saying this....never buy straight run chicks.
The roosters WILL start fighting...it's their nature.
Be prepared to pull them out and have someplace to put them....and have plans for them sooner than later....rehome or process.

I still have an extra rooster in the flock. Waiting on my husband to get home next weekend....let him deal with it. Just today the head roo chased the other roo all over the pen attacking him. I know one need to go. I think the head roo needs to stay but I am angry with his aggression.....and then I have to tell myself....it is their nature.

In my experience, the roosters won't fight unless there is a hen in the mix. I have several boys together waiting to get rehomed in a pen that is away from any hens, and they get along fine.

I have a pen of young serama with a more than one roo and a few hens. Those two fight like crazy! They've given each other black eyes and faces with all the fighting. Now though they've established who's the bigger boy and they don't fight anymore. But they're going to be rehomed on Sunday. I'm so ready to get back down to just the roos that I need!

I have two coops with two rooster each, they do fine, I have five loose on yard and they figured it out for them selves. As soon as I get a chance I will haul the extras off to the sale (if we do not eat them) and put the new roo in place, and he will be the only I believe. A peaceful EE

I have five roosters, but only one is large fowl, the dominant Rooster, an EE. The rest are bantam breeds, and the dominant roo, Carl, keeps them in their place. No fighting. He's pretty imposing, as he's a large rooster. Not just "LF" but a really big rooster.

The bantam breed roos square off and do neck flares at each other, but that's about it. Sometimes they charge each other, but they never connect nor do they fight. Just spar.

But they all free range with the whole flock. 3 bantam roosters sleep with one pullet in a small coop, and only the dominant rooster stays in the Big Coop with most of the laying hens. There are two other coops, and one has a bantam rooster with 3 pullets.

Dunno how it would work if I caged any of 'em though, sorry.

Okay, then those of you that can cage two roosters have just proved to me that it was MY roosters that were as mean as I thought they were!! Told my husband they were......should not have to have a mean rooster!

Now, if I could just get the others settled down and figured out.......I want peace in the flock.

i had 4 roos and 8 hens and after 1 1/2 yrs, i went in and there was blood everywhere.. apparently the roos had decided to fight for the girls.. i seperated the hens and put them with two of the roos.. the other two roos i put in a coop and run together and they are doing fine. they have no girls but can see them in the run next to theirs and they never fight each other. it has been a little over a yr since they have been seperated. but they seem to best room mates . it has worked out just fine

Back
Top Bottom