Two roosters pecking a hen

denisamoga2

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2020
For 2 days i’ve kept my only hen inside because i suspected she’s not feeling well.Now that i noticed she’s doing better,i wanted to take her back outside since i can’t keep her in my house any longer because of school.She has 2 brothers who haven’t been this aggresive towards her up until now.I don’t want to stress her out so i got her back in but i can’t keep up with maintanence since i have another chick that i need to take care of inside my room.All 3 of them are 4 months old,almost 5.

Two roosters to one hen is likely to only make for more problems. They frequently team up to over breed and harass hens. It will very likely get worse as they get older and more hormonal. Do you really need roosters ?
The problem was that i always got a lot of roosters and few hens from the eggs our hens hatched.The batch they’re from consisted of 6 roosters and 2 hens.The next batch was the same.
Most of them passed away from what might be Marek’s disease.So now not only i don’t have a pair to give to someone else but they’re contagious and would spread the disease to the chickens of the new owner.:(
I realized that one of them is making a mating dance and not pecking (which she isn’t interested in) but the other smaller rooster just straight up wants to beat her up.They have plenty of space though,the whole yard is free for them.

The problem was that i always got a lot of roosters and few hens from the eggs our hens hatched.The batch they’re from consisted of 6 roosters and 2 hens.The next batch was the same.

As the sex of the chicks is determined by the hens, in my book you will always hatch too many male chicks from hens that are stressed out by too many roosters.

And of course stressed and harassed chicken will be prone to a variety of diseases.

Back
Top Bottom