TWO SEB GOSLINGS ARE HERE!-update MORE PICTURES ADDED

tebs78

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
I don't know if any body can shed some insight, but I feel so disappointed.

My Seb. Goslings are still not hatched out.

I got 5 from one gal and put them in on Feb. 22 at 8pm and I got 4 from another and I put them in on Feb. 23. I hated to stagger, but the PO didn't cooperate and send them on the same day.

If I counted the next day (Feb. 23 as being day 1) since I put them in after noon, then I figure I am at the end of day 29 and 28. I have ONE PIP on one of the eggs that I put in the second day, but nothing from the later ones.

I contacted the people I bought them from and they said I should have seen something by now. The one even said she had some hatch as late as day 32, but they were poor hatches. Not really reassuring.

I was sure hoping to get more than one gosling out of 9 eggs! And the one egg isn't hatched yet, so I am not counting that yet.

Well my first set of eggs that I put in first the 5, have NADA nothing no sighs and its day 30. I candled one and it looks runny in there and I don't see movement. sighhhhh.

BUT of the other 4 eggs that are on day 29 I have two pips. I am excited to see those hatch out, but still frustrated and bummed that out of 9 eggs only two seem to want to hatch. sighhh, thats a lot of money.

Last edited:
* I THINK I just read somewhere on the forum that hatch dates on geese and ducks are vary much more according to breed than in chickens. Do you know if they're overdue for their breed?

according to the breeders who I have purchased from they say I should have seen something by now.

This is what one gal said "I have had them hatch as late as day 32 but those hatches are usually not good hatches. You should be seeing some pipping by now. Do you hear ANY peeping coming from the eggs?" which I don't think I do.

Quote:
Were yours sebastopol goslings? I know I am probably being over paranoid. I waited so long for these eggs. I started looking forward to this day/days since my gosling died last year because of my father-in-laws dog..

I know because I want it so bad its going to drive me insane waiting. I should count my blessings and be glad I have one egg pipped. Its just the wait, time invested and price that makes it hard not to get overwhelmed. this is truely an addiction.

Last edited:
I hatched two for a friend last spring and I believe it was on the 30th day that they hatched. I have four eggs in the incubator right now. I just saw veins on the first two. It is so exciting and scary at the same time because you get attached to them right away.

Be patient they will get here.
smile.png

Last edited:
Nothing unusual for many to have ducks or geese hatch out at 30+ days. Only way I get hatches on day 28- 29 is to boost temperatures by one degree over what I use for chickens. Must say by doing that I have had fewer losses.

Back
Top Bottom