Two Small Flocks with Roos: Merge or Keep Separate?

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I have a small flock of young Buckeyes - 1 roo (7 months) and 4 pullets (6 months). The other flock is Marans (4) and EE (3) and an EE roo (all 6 months). They are currently separated with their own small coops and runs. We are fencing in a 1/2 acre for them, and could allow them to free range from there during the day. I'm wondering if I could/should try to integrate them in this new larger area? Both coops would be placed in there with a multiple feeding areas. Currently it's pretty open but I can add hiding spots and will plant some vegetation for hiding areas.
I could also keep them separate and divide the area with moveable netting (which is what I'm using now). All areas have electric to keep the predators out.

Is either of the coops big enough to house all the birds?
They would likely try to roost together eventually.

Why do you want 2 males?
Chances are that the males will fight and/or your females will suffer from over-mating.

I along with many others do run more than one roo with each flock. For future care it may be easier to merge your flocks. Take it slow with see, but don't touch and then allow them to mix where there is plenty of space. (It sounds like you have a good plan). Don't expect them to completely merge behavior wise quickly, but once they do an empty coop can be useful for future chicks or breeding projects.

Is either of the coops big enough to house all the birds?
They would likely try to roost together eventually.

Why do you want 2 males?
Chances are that the males will fight and/or your females will suffer from over-mating.
Hi, thank-you for replying. I do have a coop large enough for all the birds, and another that is nearly as large. I am concerned about that possibility that the roos will fight, and if that happens I know which one I will keep. I don't want them to get injured. The one I will keep is younger and smaller and probably would be the one to get the worst of it.
Long term, I wanted to hatch out more birds when they are old enough - hoping that a few of my Buckeyes will go broody. I read the article on Understanding Roosters, and that got me to thinking that if they have enough space and coops and feeding stations that I might be able to have more than one rooster. I am concerned my space - although pretty large, may not be large enough for these two roosters who've not been together. If I raise some - I suspect I might be able to do this.
If I have to go to one rooster - I have the one picked out but they are both pretty young. Neither is aggressive with the young hens, and they are not aggressive with their mating - although I don't know if that will change as they get older.

I along with many others do run more than one roo with each flock. For future care it may be easier to merge your flocks. Take it slow with see, but don't touch and then allow them to mix where there is plenty of space. (It sounds like you have a good plan). Don't expect them to completely merge behavior wise quickly, but once they do an empty coop can be useful for future chicks or breeding projects.
That was my thought - ease of care. What ratio (hens to roo) do you use?
I'm in the Pacific Northwest so it rains a lot in winter - so the second coop can provide added shelter for the rains. As it is now - with two separate flocks I need to add a rain shelter for the second flock. Access to dust bathing is an issue I have to solve for them. All they have is mud! (The bigger flock has a rain shelter and they use it a lot. I put their food and a sand box in there.)
The hens were all together at one point - they were brooded all together except for the one roo. I split the flock for the lonely rooster only a month ago. I had a Batchelor pen for awhile but I had to send the other bachelors to freezer camp for assorted reasons. (His last companion became aggressive towards me - so he was then alone.)
I was thinking I would use the electric poultry netting to divide the space at first and let them free range together. (Although - I did that once before and a rooster ran off into the woods and I never found him. He was my favorite, of course.) So I'm a bit nervous.

I have 2 separate flocks. Both with Roosters. All coops are in my Barn (there's 5 total at the moment), 2 separate runs, building a 3rd now and I flip flop free range times to keep them separated. My plan is to fence in the barn completely to free range each flock on either side at the same time.

At times I've had 4 roos with 25 hens. My current Standard flock has one roo and one cockeral with 20 hens. (rough fox year). My Silkie flock has two roos and 10 cockerals with a dozen hens. We will be taking cockerals to auction soon.

I have 2 separate flocks. Both with Roosters. All coops are in my Barn (there's 5 total at the moment), 2 separate runs, building a 3rd now and I flip flop free range times to keep them separated. My plan is to fence in the barn completely to free range each flock on either side at the same time.
Sounds like a great set-up. I would love to have a barn.

It will work or it won't. I think the two roosters might be a problem, but know as I am typing this, I have two in a flock of twelve...but I am planning on one being gone here pretty soon.

The thing is, if you want to raise up the buckeyes, you will have to keep those hens separate, or you won't have purebred chicks. If that is not an issue, disregard. Hens are not monomogous, and roosters will take any chance they get.

Roosters are where romance meets reality as AArt says.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom