Two Snake-Proof Grow Out Pens for Florida

It's
Work continues. We are close to finishing but rain and aches and pains have kept the pace slower than a molasses drip. I’m very excited. I think after losing the last chick to a snake- one that was really ten times the size it could even swallow- I’m going to leave the bottom as one large grow out pen instead of two. That way I have a secure area to raise smaller breeds for longer time. These are photos of the shelters which are on each end I don’t know why the photos keep coming out sideways if anyone knows how to correct that...View attachment 2362402View attachment 2362403
8da5253d-8d33-4281-9ad2-d0946fca3d8d-jpeg.2362404

It's looking great! I'm also in north central FL.. working on my first coop and run. This has been a challenging time to build! Love all the rain, but it sure makes building hard!

I'm sorry you lost your pullet. I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you know how/where the snake got in to get her?

It's looking great! I'm also in north central FL.. working on my first coop and run. This has been a challenging time to build! Love all the rain, but it sure makes building hard!

I'm sorry you lost your pullet. I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you know how/where the snake got in to get her?

Thank you. The rain is welcome here too :) The wire in that cage is 2 x 4 so the snake easily got in. All of my coops except one are repurposed dog kennels. The pullet in question was a French Black Copper Marans and way too large for the rat snakes around here but this one killed and tried anyway, leaving the body for me to find after it gave up. My mistake was thinking they were big enough the snakes wouldn't bother them. That said, even in my coop with hardware cloth, snakes get in through gaps in the gable and door. The adults are not bothered. The snakes come looking for eggs but last year a broody Cream Legbar was killed by a snake because she wouldn't relinquish her eggs. They are a serious problem here. This grow out pen has no gaps anywhere.The bottom will also be covered in hardware cloth.

Thank you. The rain is welcome here too :) The wire in that cage is 2 x 4 so the snake easily got in. All of my coops except one are repurposed dog kennels. The pullet in question was a French Black Copper Marans and way too large for the rat snakes around here but this one killed and tried anyway, leaving the body for me to find after it gave up. My mistake was thinking they were big enough the snakes wouldn't bother them. That said, even in my coop with hardware cloth, snakes get in through gaps in the gable and door. The adults are not bothered. The snakes come looking for eggs but last year a broody Cream Legbar was killed by a snake because she wouldn't relinquish her eggs. They are a serious problem here. This grow out pen has no gaps anywhere.The bottom will also be covered in hardware cloth.

I see, thank you for sharing. Gosh, that's got to be hard. Sounds like your new grow out pen should do the trick, though!

On the home stretch now. One side is finished and my messy five chicks have been transported to take up residence. Listening to their loud protestations now. They don’t know how safe they are; just that it’s strange.
I already see a few issues. Without drawings I didn’t have a good idea of what my friend was doing. It’s very safe but not entirely chicken friendly yet. I’ll add a couple of perches outside. The shelter may be too narrow for chicks over five weeks and they will be here until 3 months. So... more work. But it’s very sturdy, weather proof and most importantly snake proof.
80AE3DCD-F58A-43C3-8C6F-95A40C3BE7FF.jpeg

76AE1A5B-8E79-4D87-A23F-2C5A84A90455.jpeg
AA8F02CF-3A5D-48EA-BADE-22144B5262E3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom