Two Story Coop

scurvie

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Hello BYC!

My husband and I recently moved our wee babes out into the big outdoors! We still need to install the roosts in their coop and get the run finished up (it's been raining and miserable- so they're confined to coop life for a few days), but I just thought I would share some photos of little blue coop.

11245804_10153323733786810_3942059553519269877_n.jpg

11017233_10153320817831810_1372833698940164381_n.jpg

10383096_10204033363341065_6053483702882665600_n.jpg

It's still a work in progress- but we're having SO MUCH FUN!

:0) Scurvie

Looks good, I like the color, be sure to add some cleats to the ramp or you'll have the worlds greatest chicken slide.

Jetdog, we tightly wrapped the ramp in poultry netting- think that'll work? They're still not brave enough to actually try the ramp. Haha

The wire will stretch and break over time. I would remove the wire so there are no punctures on the feet (thinking bumblefoot prevention here) and do the cleats.

Cute coop. Wondering if they will actually use the top level or not see it as an option. Never tried it so I have no idea. Curious if it works.
Love the look the dog is giving you lol. Like "OK so where is MY blue house and why is dinner getting so much attention."

Babs

Definitely add cleats to ramp, 1/4" - 3/8" high and 3" apart.....
.....and remove the wire, that's just asking for foot problems, doesn't really give good traction and it will be impossible to scrape the poop off.

Anxious to see how your birds adapt to two levels as I am doing the same thing to give our birds more much needed room.

Yes, definitely need a foot hold on that ramp! The wood I used had a finish on it that turned out to be quite slick. The birds didn't like the ramp because they kept sliding down it when they tried to go up and down. Even with the cleats it was too slick for them. I used spray adhesive (super 77) and added some rubber shelf lining. Problem solved. The lining eventually came off but the tacky surface from the super 77 attracted sand to the ramp which made a great footing for them.

Great feedback, everyone! Thank you! I am going to remove the wire for sure and just add cleats.

So far, they seem to enjoy being on the upper level. They're usually up there when I go down in the morning to check on them. As soon as I open up one of the hatches on the lower level they all come running down the ramp excited to be outside. I think they'll probably end up sleeping up there (since that's where the roosts are).

It's all so much fun. I'm really loving all the learning.

Again, thanks!!
:)

Back
Top Bottom