Two strange eggs without shells

bax_attack

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
As the title suggests, I've had two eggs laid this week without shells. I've got three BOs, one Americaunas, one RIR, a silver laced wyandotte and a barred rock. I know it isn't coming from the Americauanas because she lays green eggs, and they have been coming regularly. I also know it isn't the barred rock because she is currently isolated in a smaller coop for bullying.

Anyway, overly long intro, but my question is, is this something I need to worry about or just a glitch in someone's laying system? A few of my birds are just coming out of their winter moults and I'm wondering if maybe their system can mess up a few eggs before it gets back to regular laying. I've attached a picture with another egg for size comparison. It is smaller than an egg and the yolk is barely existent, it is tiny and shriveled looking.

My hens free range in half of my back yard and are fed oyster shell mixed in with their organic layer feed. I mix it in directly with their food because they don't really eat the stuff I leave out free choice. I mix in around 5 lbs of oyster with a 50 lb bag.

Any advice on this situation? I haven't picked everyone up for a physical exam yet, but they all look and act normal.

If everyone looks and acts normal and since they are coming out of winter molts, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It can take a little while for their systems to get back into the swing of things.

Back
Top Bottom