Two swollen chickenfeet with wierd hard, ball-like scabs! What is it?

RainbowState

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Hi all,

I noticed one of my hens was not eating with the rest of the flock this morning so I isolated her and then noticed that both her feet are swollen and hot, like an infection. The weird part is that there are two black looking scabs right on the bottom, one scab on each foot, about 1/4 " diameter that are very hard, almost like there is a ball in there under the scabby areas! The rest of the area around the hard part is swollen and softer. I have no idea how she could have harmed herself on both feet like that. Could it be some kind of foot disease? Or just an infection? Does it need to be lanced and drained?

She drank some water and ate some yogurt I offered her but refuses any other food. She is a 1 1/2 year old Rhode Island Red/ Leghorm cross laying hen. So far her energy is down but she is still alert. I cleaned off the feet, rubbed a little povidone iodine on the pads, and put triple antibiotic on all the swollen areas. Any advice on what it might be and what else I should do, if anything, would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

the joys of bumblefoot...one of my girls had this, I soaked her foot in warm salt water until it was clean and then I used a razor and cut the area of the infection open, cleaned it all out and then resoaked with salt water, when I was sure it was all clean I put polysporin on it without the pain killer in it and bandaged it. I kept an eye on it for a few days making sure to resoak and apply clean bandage and she is totally fine now. I did separate mine for a bit from the rest of the flock, but this is not necessary, I only did it cause the other ones were pecking at her bandages, and I wanted to be sure no dirt got on the wound.

Ema

Bumblefoot? Yuk!
sickbyc.gif

I am sending good vibrations out to you and your poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom