Two week old Chicks and changes to brooder.

Yeah, the brooder plate is probably better than the light, but the nipple waterer could be tricky. I have a cup waterer, I don't think most of my grown chickens have figured it out, no matter how many times I show them! Lol I think the regular waterer is much better for the chicks, straightforward. I put mine up on quite a thick paver and now it's been staying clean for me.

Yeah, the brooder plate is probably better than the light, but the nipple waterer could be tricky. I have a cup waterer, I don't think most of my grown chickens have figured it out, no matter how many times I show them! Lol I think the regular waterer is much better for the chicks, straightforward. I put mine up on quite a thick paver and now it's been staying clean for me.
I appreciate it! I have to wait until my little guy finally goes to sleep to put the other waterer in the brooder. They're in our shed and my son is autistic so I can't leave him unattended. Hubby is a night shifter.

I thought about keeping them in the house but my son is really loud and unpredictable at times. We also have cats, large cats. My Maine Coon jumped on the brooder when we were setting it up and the roof bent in. She would have no trouble getting in if she wanted to.

IMG_20230225_151233947~2.jpg

I appreciate it! I have to wait until my little guy finally goes to sleep to put the other waterer in the brooder. They're in our shed and my son is autistic so I can't leave him unattended. Hubby is a night shifter.

I thought about keeping them in the house but my son is really loud and unpredictable at times. We also have cats, large cats. My Maine Coon jumped on the brooder when we were setting it up and the roof bent in. She would have no trouble getting in if she wanted to.

View attachment 3513175
That is a gorgeous cat! I had a Maine Coon as a kid, but I didn't realize they come in white!? Mine looked more like the typical tabby ones.

That is a gorgeous cat! I had a Maine Coon as a kid, but I didn't realize they come in white!? Mine looked more like the typical tabby ones.
Thank you! I got her from a breeder here in South Carolina. They come in all kinds of colors and patterns. She is the most amazing cat I have ever had the privilege to share a home with. Her personality is unlike any other cat I have had.

Thank you! I got her from a breeder here in South Carolina. They come in all kinds of colors and patterns. She is the most amazing cat I have ever had the privilege to share a home with. Her personality is unlike any other cat I have had.
Yeah, I don't really consider myself much of a cat person, but I would get another Maine Coon. They are great. Ours would come in from outside when you called or whistled for him, and sit in the chair and snuggle on your lap for hours. We joked that he was more dog than cat lol but our folks wouldn't let us get a dog haha

Yeah, I don't really consider myself much of a cat person, but I would get another Maine Coon. They are great. Ours would come in from outside when you called or whistled for him, and sit in the chair and snuggle on your lap for hours. We joked that he was more dog than cat lol but our folks wouldn't let us get a dog haha
Exactly, very dog like.

Update:

Put the old waterer in the new brooder and naturally the chicks made a huge mess of it. I kept the horizontal nipple waterer attached and to my surprise I watched them using it instead of the other waterer. So I have removed the old one and will keep an eye on them.
Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Ok thank you very much. I will keep the other waterer in there for now. They just get it so dirty even when it is on a brick.
I use a paint pan with the grate thing in it turned the wrong way so its level. Then the pan catches the water. Learned this with ducklings and it works for chicks too. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

Back
Top Bottom