Two week? old rescued chick, what is it? Americauna? Welsummer?

wildcelticrose

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
So I hear a huge screaming match going on in the street out in front of my house and walk out on the porch to see a bunch of teenage girls fighting about some sort of Facebook drama.

As the ruckus breaks up, a young woman walks over and says, "excuse me ma'am" She looked worried and I was concerned that she was afraid of being jumped by some of the remaining girls so was prepared to bring her into the house and call someone for her.

"Do you want a baby chicken?" she asked.

She had a scared little baby chicken nestled in a pillowcase in her arms.

She was visiting friends of friends in a nearby rural community and learned that all of their chickens (20 of them) had been killed by a pit bull two days prior. At that very moment, they saw the dog playing with something.

It was a baby chick that had somehow survived not only the initial attack with little more than some scratches and plucked feathers, but survived out there alone for two days.

She couldn't leave it there, took it home here in the Hilltop last night and has been trying to find someone to take care of it and was getting very discouraged and was not sure what to do.

So she ends up watching a Facebook fight involving the person she was walking with erupt in the street and unbeknownst to her, she is standing right in front of the Crazy Hilltop Chicken Lady's house...

You should have seen the look on her face when I said, "Of course, I'll take the chick", (despite the fact that I swore I'd never have chicks in my dining room again) and brought up my brooder cage, heat lamp and chick feeder/waterer from the basement. After we got lucky settled I took her out to meet the rest of the girls. Several times she looked at me with tears in her eyes saying "God brought me here."

What are the chances? Seriously?

To make this even weirder, I just lost an Americauna to a raccoon.

We named him or her "Lucky" (I hope it's a her since we can't have roos in Tacoma, but I have a friend with a farm who will take Lucky in the event it's a he because I promised this girl I'd save him/her.

she/he immediately started eating and drinking (a good sign) and is walking around well, apparently uninjured.

The lungs are certainly fine, the peeping is LOUD.

[sigh]

Now I'm trying to find out what Lucky is...

My first thought was Americauna/Americauna cross or Welsummer. The face is very hawkish like my Americauna and the markings are similar. This is also what two other chicken folks I showed him/her to thought.

I don't think easter egger, no beard and legs are yellow. Truthfully, at this age quite a few breeds will look very similar. Post again in 3-4 weeks?

What a lovely story! It's probably not a Easter Egger or Ameraucana though. My vote would be for Welsummer but donrae is right, you'll need to give him/her a couple of weeks to show breed.

Possibly an EE x Welsummer... maybe post again in a few weeks.

So I hear a huge screaming match going on in the street out in front of my house and walk out on the porch to see a bunch of teenage girls fighting about some sort of Facebook drama.

As the ruckus breaks up, a young woman walks over and says, "excuse me ma'am" She looked worried and I was concerned that she was afraid of being jumped by some of the remaining girls so was prepared to bring her into the house and call someone for her.

"Do you want a baby chicken?" she asked.

She had a scared little baby chicken nestled in a pillowcase in her arms.

She was visiting friends of friends in a nearby rural community and learned that all of their chickens (20 of them) had been killed by a pit bull two days prior. At that very moment, they saw the dog playing with something.

It was a baby chick that had somehow survived not only the initial attack with little more than some scratches and plucked feathers, but survived out there alone for two days.

She couldn't leave it there, took it home here in the Hilltop last night and has been trying to find someone to take care of it and was getting very discouraged and was not sure what to do.

So she ends up watching a Facebook fight involving the person she was walking with erupt in the street and unbeknownst to her, she is standing right in front of the Crazy Hilltop Chicken Lady's house...

You should have seen the look on her face when I said, "Of course, I'll take the chick", (despite the fact that I swore I'd never have chicks in my dining room again) and brought up my brooder cage, heat lamp and chick feeder/waterer from the basement. After we got lucky settled I took her out to meet the rest of the girls. Several times she looked at me with tears in her eyes saying "God brought me here."

What are the chances? Seriously?

To make this even weirder, I just lost an Americauna to a raccoon.

We named him or her "Lucky" (I hope it's a her since we can't have roos in Tacoma, but I have a friend with a farm who will take Lucky in the event it's a he because I promised this girl I'd save him/her.

she/he immediately started eating and drinking (a good sign) and is walking around well, apparently uninjured.

The lungs are certainly fine, the peeping is LOUD.

[sigh]

Now I'm trying to find out what Lucky is...

My first thought was Americauna/Americauna cross or Welsummer. The face is very hawkish like my Americauna and the markings are similar. This is also what two other chicken folks I showed him/her to thought.

Awww, what a cute story. The closest breed I can think of is a Welsummer, but something is a bit off. Maybe she is just a barnyard mutt. But I'm glad she is doing well. :)

She resembles my Welsummer. It'll be easier to tell once she's full grown. Also once she begins laying - she should lay a dark or dark/speckled egg.

Back
Top Bottom