Two week olds outside?

KensingtonHens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
Hi there all!! I have a question about my girls. They are two weeks old today and I'd really like to get them out of the house. It's in the 80's during the day and in the 50's at night. Can I put them in their coop/brooder ? With the heatlamp for nighttime. They are bantams. I hate that they're missing out on this great weather living inside! Their coop is fully predator proof and get afternoon sun. We live in sunny San Diego. Also, I have a little terrier and he just goes apes$!¥# when he sees them. Any thing you might be able to suggest to help him accept them?

Thanks so much in advance for any helpful hints!!

Maybe you can let them outside for awhile but I think it has to be a little warmer then 80 for two week old chicks.
I don't think you should leave them out at night :( at least I wouldn't. I would feel bad if they froze to death.!

Maybe you can let them outside for awhile but I think it has to be a little warmer then 80 for two week old chicks.
I don't think you should leave them out at night :( at least I wouldn't. I would feel bad if they froze to death.!

Yeah, good point. But that's waht the heatlamp would be for. I probably will just keep them inside, it's just such darn nice weather! And they're making a mess!! :barnie
Maybe just a little afternoon yard time.

Let them be outside, but keep the heat lamp on for this next week. Rules I've heard are 95-week 1, then decrease 5 degrees every week until feathered at 5 weeks.

That being said, they are still very vulnerable at 2 weeks.

Re: terrier. Terriers are vermin hunters, your chicks are the size Nd sound of vermin. He will kill them all, and I don't know of any way to help him "accept" them. He is who he is. The chicks are prey. You'll have to mKe sure you keep your chicks safe. Maybe you can hope one of them is a mean-*** cock bird who will keep the dog in line, but I doubt the bird will win.

Good luck!

Yeah, good point. But that's waht the heatlamp would be for. I probably will just keep them inside, it's just such darn nice weather! And they're making a mess!! :barnie
Maybe just a little afternoon yard time.

Lol.! Mine haven't made a mess yet but I've only had them for a day, instead of pine shavings I use puppy pee pads since we have a ton laying around my house from when my dogs were puppies and couldn't go outside yet

Lol.! Mine haven't made a mess yet but I've only had them for a day, instead of pine shavings I use puppy pee pads since we have a ton laying around my house from when my dogs were puppies and couldn't go outside yet

I'm using puppy pads and then covering that with paper towels when it becomes too soiled. Saves a change out a day. They are sooooooo sweet at that age! The power naps were my fav!

If they are in a small area and have 24 hour access to the heat lamp I don't see why it would be bad to have the, out?

That was my thinking also. I'll try to get the heat lamp set up and if that's successful I might move them. I have one that doesn't seem to be growing. She has a limp and sleeps a lot but she eats okay and poos okay so we are just waiting to see if she makes it. It is frustrating that they can't tell you what's wrong.

Sammylee I have three that look just like the darker one in your avatar. Do you know what she is?

Mine is a Barred Rock :)
I have a better picture of her so you can see

Back
Top Bottom