Two Weeks, Two Deaths Baby Chicks Need Input/Suggestions PLEASE What am I doing Wrong?!

Did it look like any of these:
LL

Thank you for the poop pics. Kathy, the one you sent of the solid yellow poop looks the most like what Beatrice had. She also had a little bit of fresh blood. I certainly was not giving them all a high enough dose of Corid. I read your calculations for dosage and just prepared a one-gallon solution. I brought it out to the coop and told all the girls to drink, drink, drink!
I'm curious, though, wouldn't the chick appear a bit under the weather for a day or so if she was fighting coccidiosis. I saw nothing in the coop that looked remotely like what she had this morning. It's like it just came out of nowhere. It is hard to believe she was battling it as she was eating, drinking and pooping normally through yesterday. I just don't get it.

Thanks, Eggcessive. I had read about others having some positive results with a syringe flush/enema in loosening backed up stools. I hope I did not hurt Beatrice further by doing what I did. I just felt that, given her condition, she was going to die and I had to at least try to help her. I will have to look in to that further for any future emergencies. Thanks for the links to the articles. I just made a new solution of Corid at a higher dose. Based on what I am reading I was not treating with a high enough dose if they, indeed, do have cocci. I hope they will all make it. Just looked around at poop in the coop and it all looks good. However, Beatrice was A-OK throughout yesterday and then this morning was deathly ill, succumbing within an hour of my finding her to whatever it was that killed her. I felt so helpless. She died in my hands.

Do you have the Corid liquid? If so, you could try giving each one a drop or two, that seems to really help mine.

-Kathy

No, she was really doing well and was one of my larger chicks. I think she was an Easter-egger. My smallest chicks are my barred rocks (go figure). They have been the smallest since I brought the chicks home. But they appear to be doing well and gaining more feathers every day. My largest ones are an all-black one with a white stripe down the chest (Penguin), Georgina (an Easter Egger) and Beatrice, who was also an Easter Egger (not sure of the breed).
Here is a pic of my girls the other day, sunning in the coop. Beatrice is in the center. Do you know any of the breeds other than the barred rocks?

One thing you might want to do is get a baseline weight them and then compare their weekly gains against this table:
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

Source:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom