Two weird egg questions

We were feeding layer until I caught the babies (5-6 weeks?) chowing on it and since a majority were molting and/or not laying we thought to switching for a month would be good. We started with layer in the run and all flock outside but that didn't work so then half and half but that was a pain so just switched all together. That bag is nearly gone now, thoughts on what to purchase next week? And the silky is in the nest box currently so we shall see what she lays🤞
If it were me, I'd do the calcium directly to the 2 hens in question and stick with all flock. I'd just grab those 2 girls at night and treat them right off the roost. It'd give you a good opportunity to look them over thoroughly, too, just to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

If it were me, I'd do the calcium directly to the 2 hens in question and stick with all flock. I'd just grab those 2 girls at night and treat them right off the roost. It'd give you a good opportunity to look them over thoroughly, too, just to make sure there isn't anything else going on.
I'll do that. The silky laid a normal egg today and the Australorp was in the nest box so I'm wondering if she is going broody again or possibly going into molt.
On the note of bad shell, thin shell and bacteria crossing into the egg consider skipping the practice of feeding back egg shell until the issue has resolved fully. You are already offering oyster shell at will. While baking shells can destroy bacteria ‘it’s probably better to be safe than sorry and not risk contamination.
x2 on calcium.
Good luck.
Thank you, I did not think about that. This was the only egg we've had go rotten this year and I do not know who laid it. I'll be more careful about the egg shells I feed back to them. Unfortunately though they are sick. I can do my best to keep their immune systems running well and reduce stress but unfortunately they will still be sick. I hope it was either stored improperly, or maybe it froze and had a slight crack that we missed or the like but it is always better to be safe.

I'll do that. The silky laid a normal egg today and the Australorp was in the nest box so I'm wondering if she is going broody again or possibly going into molt.

Thank you, I did not think about that. This was the only egg we've had go rotten this year and I do not know who laid it. I'll be more careful about the egg shells I feed back to them. Unfortunately though they are sick. I can do my best to keep their immune systems running well and reduce stress but unfortunately they will still be sick. I hope it was either stored improperly, or maybe it froze and had a slight crack that we missed or the like but it is always better to be safe.
I had a duck lay a rotten egg like that. It was DIS-GUST-ING. It only happened once (thank goodness), and I never dud figure out who it was. However, my Welshie was laying internally, so I suspect it was her.

I had a duck lay a rotten egg like that. It was DIS-GUST-ING. It only happened once (thank goodness), and I never dud figure out who it was. However, my Welshie was laying internally, so I suspect it was her.
It was quite disgusting 🤢 We are wondering if it froze during the cold snap and we didn’t catch it. Fortunately, we have not had any other egg issues since those two.

Back
Top Bottom