Two Year Old Hen not acting right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DimondaleBergs, Mar 2, 2015.

1. DimondaleBergs

DimondaleBergs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Hi all!
    I'm hoping someone can help me out.
    One of my 2-year old hens all of a sudden started acting strangely. She is not coming in at night. Stays huddled outside the door. We live in Michigan, so this is not good. Of course we go out and get her and bring her in. When she comes in, she huddles under the nest boxes for the night. She is eating and drinking. This has been going on for about 4 nights now.
    Tonight when my husband brought her in, he set her on the roost, and she started shaking her head and closing her eyes.
    Any suggestions? I just cleaned the coop 2 weeks ago. All of the overs (15) seem to be fine.
    She is eating and drinking fine.
    Her bottom is dirty, but I think that's because she's nesting in the straw beneath the nesting boxes instead of on the roost. I've looked her over and can not see a single thing wrong with her.
    Thanks!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Can you bring her in so you can see what her poop looks like? Did you check her crop? When was she wormed last?

3. DimondaleBergs

DimondaleBergs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    I give them natural wormers all the time. Her poo looks a little "grainy". I brought her in last night, cleaned her up, and kept her in for the night. She's eating and drinking fine.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you ever had a fecal exam done for your chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by