Tylan 50 dosage

Lnzsmith

Songster
5 Years
Nov 14, 2017
Central Missouri
We've been treating a young pullet for severe coccidiosis for about a week. She also seems to have an eye infection (but luckily eating and drinking). She's living in a dog crate in our laundry room. I finally got hold of some tylan and we are going to try to dose it for the eye and also I suspect enteritis, as there is still some slightly bloody stools now and then.

What is the correct dose? If she weighs a pound I'd be surprised. We are going to give orally by drops on beak.

Not sure about the dose, & hopefully someone else can help you w/ that. But someone previously posted they had success with soaking a piece of bread (but not til it's soggy) with the medication and feeding it to the bird. It might be easier that way, if the dosage isn't a lot.
You might also consider contacting a local vet office about doing a fecal float. Even if they don't see chickens, they may still do a float.
Good luck & I hope your bird gets better.

We've been treating a young pullet for severe coccidiosis for about a week. She also seems to have an eye infection (but luckily eating and drinking). She's living in a dog crate in our laundry room. I finally got hold of some tylan and we are going to try to dose it for the eye and also I suspect enteritis, as there is still some slightly bloody stools now and then.

What is the correct dose? If she weighs a pound I'd be surprised. We are going to give orally by drops on beak.
I think it's .2 mL per pound. It's OK if your chicken ways less than a pound, you can still give her.2 because some of it won't make it into her mouth if you give it orally.

Not sure about the dose, & hopefully someone else can help you w/ that. But someone previously posted they had success with soaking a piece of bread (but not til it's soggy) with the medication and feeding it to the bird. It might be easier that way, if the dosage isn't a lot.
You might also consider contacting a local vet office about doing a fecal float. Even if they don't see chickens, they may still do a float.
Good luck & I hope your bird gets better.

Bloody poop after coccidiosis treatment ?
Can u pls send some pictures of her?

You should clean her eye with saline.solution and do tell If u have Powder Tyaln , Liquid Or Injectable

You can give the Tylan 50 injectable orally 1/4 cc bantum, 1/2 cc standard once a day for five days.

The Tylan soluble is one teaspoon per Gallon.

I hope I'm right
@casportpony

How old is she?
Photos of the poop?
Photos of the chick, they eye?

What are you to treat for Coccidiosis? Dosage?

Bloody stools in a young chicken is usually caused by Coccidiosis. If you are in the US, use Corid (amprolium).

The eye infection? Does she have other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous? Is there a discharge from the eye?
Flush the eye with saline and apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin. If there is pus, it will need to be removed-chicken pus does not dry up on it's own.

If you feel that she really does need antibiotic treatment in addition to tending the eye, then Tylan50 may help depending on the cause.

You need to weigh your chick so you give the proper dosage.
Mid range dose of Tylan50 is .20ml per pound of weight given 3 times per day for 5 days in a row. If you can't give it 3 times a day, then up the dosage to .30ml per pound and give 2 times a day.

According to a vet on a chicken Facebook, page the Tylan 50 dose is 0.2 ml per pound every 6-8 hours.

According to the makers of Tylan the Tylan Soluble dose is 50 mg per pound per day.

Tylan injectable can cause injection site necrosis and the one time I used it this happened, so if I use it again I will give it orally.

Chick definitely had coccidiosis (very very sick, bloody stool lethargy etc) and has been treated with correct dosage of Corid for 5 days, including oral drench for 3 days. There was lots of discharge from the eye although it is better now. There are no other symptoms of respiratory infection. I am super hesitant to use an antibiotic but the Corid doesn't seem to have completely cleared the cocci and with the additional issue of the eye infection I think it is a reasonable approach to treatment. We don't have a smartphone so I can't just snap pix and post, sorry.

Chick definitely had coccidiosis (very very sick, bloody stool lethargy etc) and has been treated with correct dosage of Corid for 5 days, including oral drench for 3 days. There was lots of discharge from the eye although it is better now. There are no other symptoms of respiratory infection. I am super hesitant to use an antibiotic but the Corid doesn't seem to have completely cleared the cocci and with the additional issue of the eye infection I think it is a reasonable approach to treatment. We don't have a smartphone so I can't just snap pix and post, sorry.
So you are still seeing bloody stools even after Corid treatment? You may want to take some samples to your vet for testing to make sure of what you are dealing with.

You could try sulfa drugs to see if that makes a difference.

We don't have a vet that can look at chickens. The stool is only slightly and maybe one in every ten bloody looking. Sulfa drugs aren't OTC as far as I know. And the stomach issues don't seem connected with the eye. We are just trying to save her, it has turned into a big hassle as we were just replacing our Buff Orpington so our Wyandotte wouldn't be an only going into the winter and they offered this Lav Orpington pullet with the adult Australorp and she is clearly not a very healthy bird...

Back
Top Bottom