Tylan 50 for the whole flock

Guess What Chicken Butt

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2022
Hello! First time posting on here. šŸ˜ I have some sick chickens and Iā€™m wondering what would be the easiest and most effect way to give all 20 chickens Tylan 50? Injection twice a day, orally, or can I just put it in their water? Iā€™m new to all this so any advice is helpful! I donā€™t want to lose any of my babies

Welcome To BYC

Do you have respiratory illness in your flock? What symptoms do you see?

I would only treat those that are symptomatic. If you feel you must treat all, then getting Tylosin soluble would likely be the best way to treat them all. It's designed to go in the flock's water.

Tylan50 will settle out of water, so it's not going to be effective. It's dosed by weight, so each individual bird would need to get the right dose. Tylan50 can be given orally. For respiratory infection, generally the dose is at 0.25ml per pound of weight given 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have respiratory illness in your flock? What symptoms do you see?

I would only treat those that are symptomatic. If you feel you must treat all, then getting Tylosin soluble would likely be the best way to treat them all. It's designed to go in the flock's water.

Tylan50 will settle out of water, so it's not going to be effective. It's dosed by weight, so each individual bird would need to get the right dose. Tylan50 can be given orally. For respiratory infection, generally the dose is at 0.25ml per pound of weight given 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
So it can definitely be given orally? I am dealing with the same thing. I spoke to an A&M vet over phone who advised me to inject them morning and night but if I can give it orally I would much prefer that! I donā€™t feel completely confident with knowing how to inject properly as well as would I need new needles every time etc etc

So it can definitely be given orally? I am dealing with the same thing. I spoke to an A&M vet over phone who advised me to inject them morning and night but if I can give it orally I would much prefer that! I donā€™t feel completely confident with knowing how to inject properly as well as would I need new needles every time etc etc
What can definitely be given orally?
Tylan50? Yes.
If you gave by injection, that would be 15 needle sticks by the 5th day. That's a lot of sticks and Tylan is known to give injection site necrosis.

What can definitely be given orally?
Tylan50? Yes.
If you gave by injection, that would be 15 needle sticks by the 5th day. That's a lot of sticks and Tylan is known to give injection site necrosis.
Yes, I was talking about Tylan50. Thanks for the info! I wonder if it could be given in an amped up dosage twice daily instead. Can only catch them before going out of the coop and after coming back in.

Yes, I was talking about Tylan50. Thanks for the info! I wonder if it could be given in an amped up dosage twice daily instead. Can only catch them before going out of the coop and after coming back in.
What are you treating? Mycoplasma?

Tylan has a wide dosage range of 10-40mg/kg given 3 times a day, so if you can only give twice a day, then yes, I would increase the dose.

Tylan has a wide dosage range of 10-40mg/kg given 3 times a day, so if you can only give twice a day, then yes, I would increase the dose.
The vet wasnā€™t 100% sure. Said it could be an upper respiratory thing combined with a bacterial infection of some sort or mycoplasma. My hens quit laying altogether for a week then they started back up again. He said this is a good indication that they are getting better but might need some assistance from antibiotics since theyā€™re still sneezing and some have snot and horse voices.

Update: gave my chickens Tylan 50 morning and night for 5 days. It definitely has seemed to help, however I still have a couple of them who continue to sneeze. Should I continue them on the medication or does the sneeze just take a while to clear after round of antibiotics?

Help! I finally found Tylan 50 but could only get the injectable kind. How do I get it out of the sealed bottle if Iā€™m going to give orally to only one hen? Apologies for the ignorant question. Iā€™ve had a round of fowl pox and one of my hens is suffering way more than the others who are all getting better. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom