type /gender

I'm honestly wondering if we're looking at the same pictures, as I'm not at all seeing this in those birds. Granted, maybe better pics would help. So would knowing whatever the OP knows about their background. So far, I'm in the mixed breed birds camp, male and female.

X3 on that.

2200 birds entered..2013 International APA show. NOT a fair.

I realize most people purchase birds from hatchery's, but birds that are bred for shows look different than your average backyard bird.

Unless you own these two breeds and purchased them from heritage lines and know structure of a bird I understand the confusion.

2200 birds entered..2013 International APA show. NOT a fair.

I realize most people purchase birds from hatchery's, but birds that are bred for shows look different than your average backyard bird.

Unless you own these two breeds and purchased them from heritage lines and know structure of a bird I understand the confusion.

You have some very nice birds.

The OP's black pullet may indeed be a true Ameraucana, I'm not sure one way or the other. But the OP's cockerel doesn't look anything like the Gold Laced Orpington cockerel you posted a pic of. The OP's cockerel is not a gold laced anything, and he doesn't have the body type or fluffiness of an Orpington either. He looks like a colorful mixed breed. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe an Old English Game/Easter Egger mix. That's just a guess though. A better profile pic that includes the color of the legs would help.

Last edited:
Some Orpingtons do not get any fluffiness till they are sexually mature. All lines are different. Assuming they they all look the same and grow the same is inaccurate. Imported Orpingtons are a project at best. Some lines have not been here for two year yet. They have work to do.

If you look at the face on the colored bird you know it can't be any type of Game bird. You can tell it is not a mature bird. It already looks to be over 5lbs and still baby. That eliminates most breeds all ready. It is larger than the Ameracuana and they reach about 5lbs at 6 months of age.

This is an Orpington

This is also an Orpington.

The structure of the bird is not seen by everyone eye. You have to own them and actually put your hands on them. Just because one is NOT fluffy does not make it a different breed. BTW I am showing the top bird and NOT the bottom bird. The top bird fits into the SOP. The bottom bird does NOT because of the fluffy feathers.

UpDate the birds have grown and both are roosters!!!

They're beautiful! I think it's safe to say the red one isn't a Gold Laced Orpington. He's gorgeous anyway! He makes me wish I could have a roo.

Back
Top Bottom