Type of breed that is best suited for laying eggs.

kj7ty

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Lake Stevens, Washington
I am very new to this, so pardon me if I ask stupid questions... I live in the pacific northwest, and would to find out what breed of chicken would best for laying eggs in our climate. Thanks. Mike

howdy neighbor. because of the climate you'll probably want to go with a Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire Red, Red Star (Rhode Island Red Hybrid), Black Star (another hybrid), Barred Rock or if you live where you get lost of snow and cold weather the Speckled Sussex (most cold hardy of all those I listed, but has a lower egg production).

I'd definately reccomend Barred Rocks unless you get alot of snow because their large combs can get frost bitten but... i don't know how cold it would need to get to frostbite. The BR's have great personalities and mine lays an egg every day and usually only takes about one break a month.

We get cold temps here ( sometimes as low as -20 below ) and my BR ,RIR , and Red stars do fine . By far my BR are the most proficient egg layers (the standards at least , the banties have taken quite a long break ) , so I guess I'd go for BR or RIR .
smile.png

Thanks folks. Really appreciate the info. We usually don't get much snow out here, but it's usually on the cool side and rainy. Boy, there's a lot to learn about this, but I remember as a kid getting fresh eggs from our neighbor, and they were the best. Take care.
Mike

There are two answers to your question. I live on the coast and get 80" of rain per year here, it rarely freezes and the summers are not hot.

1) By "Breed" you are limiting yourself a bit. Crossbreeds/hybrids are the best layers.

2) I raise the following:

Layers/Breeders: Barred Rocks, RIR, Jersey Giants, Marans, Black Sex Links, Red Sex Links, Speckled Sussex, Dark Cornish

Meat Chickens: Freedom Rangers

All those layers are tolerant of our climte. I would say the best all around 'breeds' are the Barred Rocks, Black Sex Links and RIR's.

I would say the Speckled Sussex, Cornish and RSL's are the prettiest.

So if you are not raising eggs for sale, pick the birds you can most tolerate looking at because you'll be seeing them every day to collect eggs, water and feed. I really can't think of any of the large breeds that won't work in our climate.

Back
Top Bottom