1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

type of comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by soccerguy17, Apr 22, 2007.

1. soccerguy17

soccerguy17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    washington
    i dont know if this is the right section to post this in so feel free to move it if needed. i was just wondering what type of comb this is considered all my birds have single combs and ive never seen a comb like this.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I couldn't tell you what that kind of comb is called, but I can tell you that comb shape is determined by 2 different genes on separate chromosomes, so depending on how they're situated can get you one of the recognized types or something strange. I have a roo that is a combination pea/single comb. It's tall like a single comb, but lacking the spikes, and has two very small smooth ridges running down each side. I've never seen another like it.

http://marsa_sellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page2.html#t9

3. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Is it possibly Rose comb?

4. Joshischicken

Joshischicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    I have several Roosters and Hens like this one thats 100% a Rose comb

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That looks like a combination Buttercup and Rose comb. Looks from one pic like there is a cup in the middle of the comb, a depression. Rose combs don't have that-my Wyandottes have rose combs and they don't look like that; they don't stand up like that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by