Type of feed for 5 month old ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WhyNotDucks, Oct 19, 2014.

1. WhyNotDucks

WhyNotDucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Northeast Ohio
    I live in Northeast Ohio where it has been rather cool lately. My 7 ducks (2 Welsh Harlequins, 2 Cayugas, 2 Blue Swedes, and 1 Buff Orpington) currently are on Purina duck grower feed. They have been exhibiting the maturing/dominance behavior for at least a month now, but I'm not sure if they will lay eggs yet this year. That is why I am not sure what to feed them. Since the daylight is diminishing, and I don't want to use artificial light, should I continue to feed them duck grower and have oyster shell on the side just in case? Or should I get Purina duck breeder or Layena to feed to them? Thanks for any input.

2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Mine are eating feed for laying, but I will probably switch on my next bag, since they no longer lay. I used Purina Flock Raiser in the past. I also give them scratch grains. I have not had ducks that lay over the winter, so I've just gone with the Flock Raiser.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't use layers here i have to many ages and to many drakes. I feed grower and whole corn and scratch that is almost 11% protein... i keep these all separate and do a buffet style diet the birds choose what they need and when... they also all free range.... and continue to do so till the winter snow stops them.

I keep oyster shell free choice... for my ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by