Type of feed for my flock

RubiconChicken

Chirping
Jun 4, 2019
Southeastern Wisconsin
I have 14 chickens that are 19 weeks old and 13 chickens that are 11 weeks old. I am wondering if it would be okay to switch them all to laying feed rather than chick starter feed. There is no way to keep them separated with different feed.

Also, none of them have started laying yet. I am wondering when I need to provide oyster shells and/or grit. Or do I even need to provide that?

Thanks!

They should be on a chick grower feed until they all start laying consistently. Then switch them to layer feed or an all flock feed. They won't need oyster shell until they are laying. Grit can be given now.

I actually feed all my birds over 6 months a 22% protein game bird grower.

Last edited:
I have 14 chickens that are 19 weeks old and 13 chickens that are 11 weeks old. I am wondering if it would be okay to switch them all to laying feed rather than chick starter feed. There is no way to keep them separated with different feed.

Also, none of them have started laying yet. I am wondering when I need to provide oyster shells and/or grit. Or do I even need to provide that?

Thanks!
A lot of people, myself included, feed an all-flock feed thru out their lives, every age every chicken. I give oyster shell on the side for the layers. I use Purina Flock Raiser, but every brand has an all flock feed. If you still have chick starter left, use it up, they will be okay. Feed is perishable.

I'd just use a Flock Raiser feed, and provide oyster shells once the older ones start laying. It's not a good idea to switch the young ones over to layer yet, since they haven't started to lay (too much extra calcium).

Back
Top Bottom