Type of silkie?

1 Critter Camp

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Kentuckky
I purchased eggs off Ebay... they were frizzle silkies. I had three eggs hatch, two frizzles and this one.
Is this one called a smooth feathered silkie? I thought by definition a silkie has downy fuzzy feathers. She is very pretty; just was curious why type she is. It is time to give my two chicks names!! :)

Frizzles have different feathers than a silkie, and people often mix the two. Since frizzles are a dominant gene for feather type most people breed one frizzle to a "normal" feathered bird. The ones with 2 of this gene look just kinda moth eaten and bald. So, the babies have a 50/50 chance of being either frizzle feathered or normal feathered. Your baby looks like it is normal feathered. But, it's a beautiful blue and if bred to a silkie or a frizzle it could give you babies that silkied if a silkie was it's mom or dad. If a frizzle was the other parent it could give you frizzle babies if bred back to a frizzle. Looks like what happened is you had one silkie parent and one frizzle parent and baby got one silkie gene (which it needs 2 of to show the silkie feathering) and no frizzle gene.

Frizzles have different feathers than a silkie, and people often mix the two. Since frizzles are a dominant gene for feather type most people breed one frizzle to a "normal" feathered bird. The ones with 2 of this gene look just kinda moth eaten and bald. So, the babies have a 50/50 chance of being either frizzle feathered or normal feathered. Your baby looks like it is normal feathered. But, it's a beautiful blue and if bred to a silkie or a frizzle it could give you babies that silkied if a silkie was it's mom or dad. If a frizzle was the other parent it could give you frizzle babies if bred back to a frizzle. Looks like what happened is you had one silkie parent and one frizzle parent and baby got one silkie gene (which it needs 2 of to show the silkie feathering) and no frizzle gene.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.. the website had excellent pictures! Most definitely I have a smooth silkie and colored much like the ones on the California country ranch!
Thanks to all that replied!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom