Type of silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1 Critter Camp, Sep 1, 2013.

1. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I purchased eggs off Ebay... they were frizzle silkies. I had three eggs hatch, two frizzles and this one.
    Is this one called a smooth feathered silkie? I thought by definition a silkie has downy fuzzy feathers. She is very pretty; just was curious why type she is. It is time to give my two chicks names!! :)

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a mix, maybe a cochin and silkie cross.

3. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    Frizzles have different feathers than a silkie, and people often mix the two. Since frizzles are a dominant gene for feather type most people breed one frizzle to a "normal" feathered bird. The ones with 2 of this gene look just kinda moth eaten and bald. So, the babies have a 50/50 chance of being either frizzle feathered or normal feathered. Your baby looks like it is normal feathered. But, it's a beautiful blue and if bred to a silkie or a frizzle it could give you babies that silkied if a silkie was it's mom or dad. If a frizzle was the other parent it could give you frizzle babies if bred back to a frizzle. Looks like what happened is you had one silkie parent and one frizzle parent and baby got one silkie gene (which it needs 2 of to show the silkie feathering) and no frizzle gene.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    She is a Silkie mix.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 Probably a Cochin/Silkie cross.

7. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Thanks for the information.. the website had excellent pictures! Most definitely I have a smooth silkie and colored much like the ones on the California country ranch!
    Thanks to all that replied!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by