Type of wood to build a coop

Gotalotofpetstoo

Songster
Jan 11, 2023
Western NC
We are wanting to build a chicken coop for my mother. This coop will be for three adult silky hens, One bantam rooster and five pullets currently. So basically nine small chickens. My main question is the type of wood that is suitable for building the coop. I'm reading so many different things about treated wood or non-treated wood as far as which is best. Some articles that I have read talk about using a wood with a natural pesticide such as cedar, but then others say not to use an aromatic wood. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

We are wanting to build a chicken coop for my mother. This coop will be for three adult silky hens, One bantam rooster and five pullets currently. So basically nine small chickens. My main question is the type of wood that is suitable for building the coop. I'm reading so many different things about treated wood or non-treated wood as far as which is best. Some articles that I have read talk about using a wood with a natural pesticide such as cedar, but then others say not to use an aromatic wood. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you
I used PT plywood. The cedar issue is about Eastern vs Western. Western, having less aromatic oils, is usually of less concern.

Did ours starting with PT 6x6 with 2x6 joist, CD 5/8" sheathing sub floor, wall framing 2x4 hem fir studs, plates and 2x6 rafters, OSB 1/2" sheathing, All covered with #15 felt, sided with primed Clapboard Cedar with corrugated "Tin" roofing. A little over the top, they didn't call me "Captain Overkill" on the job for nothing. I just never wanted to see one of my decks on the news that collapsed.

PT for anything touching the ground, regular dimensional lumber for the framing.
My concern is mainly what is safe for the actual siding boards that make the coop sides. Can I use pressure treated, (like from Lowes) privacy fence pickets? I'm just concerned if there is anything used in the pressure treating process that can hurt the chickens.

My concern is mainly what is safe for the actual siding boards that make the coop sides. Can I use pressure treated, (like from Lowes) privacy fence pickets? I'm just concerned if there is anything used in the pressure treating process that can hurt the chickens.
Stopping short of saying: yes, it is safe.

I used 100% PT materials and have had no issues. Modern PT is not like yesterday's PT.

Back
Top Bottom