Types of bedding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Big C, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    We have access to cotton hulls cheap and was thinking of using this for bedding.
    Has anyone used this before. Is it advisable? Searched thru a bunch of previous posts and did not find any reference to cotton hulls used this way.
    Would appreciate any advice.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    most cotton has been sprayed with loads of chemicals. Be careful. the hens may try to eat them. Jean

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I do have a small patch of cotton growing. I have never used the hulls. They are rather hard. I have used peanut shells in their run and I spread some in the corn field where they are now ranging. I grew some peanuts too and also there is a peanut farm down the road where I also get some composted peanut shells. I use spanish moss in the nest boxes. I have several trees with it on so I just go out once in awhile and get fresh and put it in the nests, I also sprinkle Food Grade DE there too.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Quote:Hi Jean,
    Luckily in our area of Texas this is no longer the farming practice. Ammonia nitrate is used as a fertilizer at start and no defoliation is necessary since we tend to get freezes at the right time for natural defoliation.
    The only chemical that is used beyond the in organic fertilizer is Roundup for weed control. The breeds of cotton used here are unaffected and glyphosate is non transducent in soil.
    Good point. Will research the msde's for warnings.
    Thank you much!!!

5. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Quote:My misgiving on the hulls was the cotton fiber. It usually runs at about 60-40 fiber vs hulls and it packing down and harboring disease. Maybe I could mix this with leaves which we have in abundance. We do a lot of leaf cleaning for customers this time of year. Oak, pecan, etc...
    Do you use DE in the bedding also?

6. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I bought some cotton hulls to try. I hated them, they were more dusty than the chickens. All the birds had sneezes for a couple days after as well. They were not absorbent in the least. I won't be bothering with them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by