Types of bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MyMiniFarm, Jan 15, 2015.

1. MyMiniFarm

MyMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Hi everyone! I'm going to be building a coop for my 6 Belgian D'anvers! They're currently in extra large dog crates in the garage because we've had a few cases on AI around us so we're not letting our birds out, just in case. But there hasn't been a reported case since the beginning of December, so according to the news it's probably over but keep I'm keeping my birds in for at least another 2 weeks. Anyway there's going to be a pen (well actually it's a sea-do crate but they are fantastic chicken coops!) that's 11' 5" by 4' 7" and a henhouse that's raised about 2 1/2 feet off the ground and it's 4x4x4. The pen will have hardware cloth on the bottom follow by a thin layer of dirt, then crusher dust, then sand. But I have no idea what to put in the house and nest boxes. Where I live it gets a high of 30 c in the summer and in the winter (now) it rains quite bit and gets a high of around 8. So it will need to be warm and easy to clean. I would be happy to mix and match beddings too. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by