I would not really say that there are any "breeds" of Japanese coturnix just because there's really few strains that have been bred separately long enough to develop very unique uniform traits. Maybe you could call things like A&M or Meat Maker (strains bred for a long time by multiple people with set characteristics) breeds but I would call them along with most of the fancy colored ones varieties.

Coturnix isn't really a breed either, it's a genus. Then japanese coturnix, african harlequin coturnix etc are all species within it. Japanese are the common domesticated ones we say coturnix usually :)

I would not really say that there are any "breeds" of Japanese coturnix just because there's really few strains that have been bred separately long enough to develop very unique uniform traits. Maybe you could call things like A&M or Meat Maker (strains bred for a long time by multiple people with set characteristics) breeds but I would call them along with most of the fancy colored ones varieties.

Coturnix isn't really a breed either, it's a genus. Then japanese coturnix, african harlequin coturnix etc are all species within it. Japanese are the common domesticated ones we say coturnix usually :)
Ok. Thanks! You defiantly are very knowledgeable is cots!

I might add that they are Genus, Species and then you have variants as in color. But they are not scientifically called 'breeds'.
Here's the breakdown:

Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Galliformes
Family: Phasianidae
Genus: Coturnix
Species: Coturnix coturnix
Coturnix japonica
I just listed two of the 6 species of Coturnix quails. For ease of explanation.

Last edited:
Guys pharoah is the color. All brown / wild type quail can be called "pharoah" hence why you see it everywhere.

Jumbo is just the size (10+ oz).

You can have pharoah standard size, pharoah jumbo, fancy colored (hundred of colors) standard, and fancy colored jumbo.

What combination of traits you want just depends on your needs and preferences :)

@CoturnixComplex Ok, so whether I get brown or pharaoh won't affect anything like egg production?

Also, do Jumbos produce more/less eggs than reg. or are they just bigger?

Color doesn't really affect egg production at all. I mean, you could certainly breed a strain of great egglayers that happened to be a certain color but it wouldn't be related.

Usually the eggs are just a bit bigger they are with standards, and they lay close to the same frequency. Some strains have been bred for LESS eggs and more of that energy being put into the body/meat so it's always worth talking to the breeder.

Hello! I have a pullet that has plumage patterns just like my pharaohs (you know, the morris-code-looking dashes on the dorsal feathers, and the speckles on the chest) but she's grey instead of brown. Is she just a grey pharaoh, or is there a particular name for a quail with plumage like her's?

Hello! I have a pullet that has plumage patterns just like my pharaohs (you know, the morris-code-looking dashes on the dorsal feathers, and the speckles on the chest) but she's grey instead of brown. Is she just a grey pharaoh, or is there a particular name for a quail with plumage like her's?
If she looks like a pharaoh, but without any red, that would be falb fee.

Back
Top Bottom