Types of weeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by annep, Jun 24, 2011.

1. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I am wondering if anyone knows what favs there are for chickens to munch on...I give ours dandylions, grass, the normal stuff, but I am wondering if anyone knows what else they might like..There are several things that grow in my yard that they dont like, that our previous chickens loved..So, seems they have delicate palates...Ideas???

2. annep

Mar 4, 2011
    Also, they hate lettuce...Store bought or from my garden..wont eat it...we have different types, and they turn their beaks up at it...snobs!

3. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mine have unfortunately discovered my tomatoes and love them. I've also given them melon rinds and they liked those.

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Your chickens don't eat lettuce. Mine tear up lettuce. Literally "tear it up". Mustard greens, kale, cilantro, some specific short little yellow flowering weed that grows. I also have a bug trap under a huge flowering bush where grass does not grow. Lay out some bricks or stepping stones and bugs collect under those, they follow me to the stones and wait for me to lift them up. Cutie pies. My one buff orpington spotted some bright orange wasp like bug in the grass went after it till it fluttered its bright warning sign orange wings at her and she bolted with a yelp.

6. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:This is a really good idea!! I am going to do this.

7. annep

Mar 4, 2011
    That's funny because I have an old piece of carpet on the dirt that I keep moist, and lift it up, dig a bit and they go nuts!

8. MI chickens

MI chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Zeeland, Michigan
    Right now we have a lot of wild mustard in our area and my chickens go crazy for it. When we were transferring the to the daytime pen and fussing about being moved they spotted the mustard and froze and stared at it until we put them down. Boy, did they practically inhale it![​IMG] We have also noticed that they like the big leaves of the plantain weed.

9. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    We have two oak trees near the coop, so when the girls are allowed in the backyard (under supervision of Mommy), they are tearing up the leaves to get to the bugs hiding there. Today I went out to check on them & found a lizard had gotten caught in the netting I have at the bottom of the fence. My hubby asked what the girls thought of the lizard, I said, I know they see it, but they are keeping their distance.
    I cut the lizard lose, and it took off into the oak tree, but the girls just did not seen interested. Now if it were a wasp or fly, they would be chasing it all over the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by